Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure stock drags: If I want to run a 62 Lark

Good afternoon.

With years before retirement but thinking of things to do when I get there, I was reading the rules of the Pure stock drag competition and perhaps I am over-analyzing the text but it never hurts to ask...

If I want to run my 1962 hardtop, I can have a 259 or 289. The transmission can be a three speed, four speed or FOM, the FOM and three speed must be a column shift unless I could find the stock three speed shifter package for the manual unit.

Not sure if a power shift is possible, difference in 1962 and 1963 model years.

Not sure if rear stabilizer bar was offered in 1962, all though I can buy a kit.

I bought the blueprints to install a rear seat delete option, would I need to reinstall the backseat?

I have a spare V8 block on a stand in the garage that I could build, I'm guessing a 289 w/overbore may be as good as I can get in the pre R engine years.

Thanks.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I don't believe you can build a car that wasn't offered. I may be wrong, but the rear seat delete would have been offered on the low level Lark. As for the drive train, I'd used a 289 and four speed.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

You should talk to Ted Harbit or George Krem. They know all of the rules very well and were a wealth of knowledge for me with my questions.

Comment

If you are thinking of installing the rear stabilizer bar just for the drag strip, we tried that on both the Tomato and the Wrapper; it didn't help the 60' times, although it didn't hurt, either. If you just want to improve handling, go ahead with it. I have rear stabilizer bars on my '64 Cruiser and '58 Golden Hawk and really like them.

BTW, the holes in the frame for mounting a rear bar are already there in every later Studebaker I've seen--even the six cylinder cars. It's likely that your '62 would also have them. One of those frame holes (on each side) is used for the muffler hanger in the factory dual exhaust system and does double duty in a rear stabilizer bar installation.

George
        george krem

Comment

If they wanted to be picky about the rear seat area "Shelf" they would ask for the Production Order showing the rare Business coupe option, that the postal service ordered on 2 Door Sedans, I do not believe it would be an option for Hardtops.

If you mean't "Traction Bars" instead of Stabilizer Bar, those would do you the most good, but not be allowed on a '62 since they were never factory equipment..
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good point, Rich, on possible confusion between the 1963/1964 traction bars and the rear stabilizer bar. We tried the factory traction bars on both the Tomato and the Wrapper and they did not control wheel hop very well either. The automatic transmission cars don't seem to have the wheel hop problem of the four-speeds; less shock loading with a smoother application of power.

We finally solved our wheel hop problems with some really beefy spring clamps designed by Nelson Bove...thanks again, Nels. The rules allow clamping the front half of leaf springs. Your grandmother wouldn't like the ride quality (<G>) but it does the job. It's also a safety feature. We bent four axles before getting things under control. Flanged axles and those spring clamps did it. We also retained the factory traction bars. I'd hate to think of a rear wheel coming off at 110+ mph, and wheel hop can easily bend axles.

George

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            If they wanted to be picky about the rear seat area "Shelf" they would ask for the Production Order showing the rare Business coupe option, that the postal service ordered on 2 Door Sedans, I do not believe it would be an option for Hardtops.

If you mean't "Traction Bars" instead of Stabilizer Bar, those would do you the most good, but not be allowed on a '62 since they were never factory equipment..
            george krem

Comment

Oh boy. If you use a 259 I'll have somebody in my time bracket. If you use a naturally aspired 289 you'll be in Neil Laughlin's bracket. Either way, more Studes in the parade! Good luck and hope to see you there.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X