• Show
Clear All

• " New Packard Dealer"

Bob Langer
    63 Avanti
    Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Neat letter from Packard, Bob! Were those your Dad/Uncles/Grandfather? If so, what was their take on Packard only a year later? And...did they sell Studebakers later on, or take on Edsel as it seemed a fair number of former Packard dealers did?

What part of Pennsylvania was the dealership in? I don't recognize the town name.

BTW, that turquoise Avanti of yours in the photo looks terrific! I always felt that was the best Avanti color.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Neat letter from Packard, Bob! Were those your Dad/Uncles/Grandfather? If so, what was their take on Packard only a year later? And...did they sell Studebakers later on, or take on Edsel as it seemed a fair number of former Packard dealers did?

What part of Pennsylvania was the dealership in? I don't recognize the town name.

BTW, that turquoise Avanti of yours in the photo looks terrific! I always felt that was the best Avanti color.

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill,

The first ones pictured in the ad are my Uncles (Al and Regis) and the last is my Dad (Francis).
        They got Studebaker in 1956.Packard replaced Kaiser,Frazer,Henry J and Willys,so they were no strangers to orphans.
        They also started to sell Jeeps in 1953 and when they retired in 1983 my brother bought the business and moved to a new location.He continued to sell Jeeps until his death in 1995,and the business was sold in 1996
        West View is just a few miles north of Pittsburgh.
        Thank you for the nice comment on the Avanti.I bought it used in 1965
        with 9000 miles and today it only has 28000 miles.

Bob Langer
        63 Avanti
        Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Bill,

The first ones pictured in the ad are my Uncles (Al and Regis) and the last is my Dad (Francis).
          They got Studebaker in 1956.Packard replaced Kaiser,Frazer,Henry J and Willys,so they were no strangers to orphans.
          They also started to sell Jeeps in 1953 and when they retired in 1983 my brother bought the business and moved to a new location.He continued to sell Jeeps until his death in 1995,and the business was sold in 1996
          West View is just a few miles north of Pittsburgh.
          Thank you for the nice comment on the Avanti.I bought it used in 1965
          with 9000 miles and today it only has 28000 miles.

Bob Langer
          63 Avanti
          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Cool beans, Bob. Do you have any additional momentos of the establishment? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

I dont have a lot other than some invoices from 1959 & 1960. Some small items like key chains and pens and one picture of the dealership.
                Bob,I know you will appreciate this,since you like 64 Daytonas.When I bought my Avanti,I had to sell my 64 Daytona convertible,Laguna blue,blue interior,black top,R-2 non package.This was a factory car driven by the Pittsburgh district rep.All I have is memories, no pictures,invoice or even the serial number! If I remember correctly the price was $2800.00

Bob Langer
                63 Avanti
                Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I dont have a lot other than some invoices from 1959 & 1960. Some small items like key chains and pens and one picture of the dealership.
                  Bob,I know you will appreciate this,since you like 64 Daytonas.When I bought my Avanti,I had to sell my 64 Daytona convertible,Laguna blue,blue interior,black top,R-2 non package.This was a factory car driven by the Pittsburgh district rep.All I have is memories, no pictures,invoice or even the serial number! If I remember correctly the price was $2800.00

Bob Langer
                  63 Avanti
                  Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bob Langer

Bob Langer
                    63 Avanti
                    Glenshaw,PA

I love a good mystery, Bob. According to the July 1986 Turning Wheels, your 1964 Daytona Convertible was Serial Number 64V7089, originally shipped to Virginia with R2 engine JTSJ316 under the hood, oddly feeding all that power into a standard-duty(!) (YES; not heavy-duty, water-cooled or Powershift!) column Flightomatic transmission! [:0] [8D] BP

Comment

Bob Langer
                      63 Avanti
                      Glenshaw,PA

I love a good mystery, Bob. According to the July 1986 Turning Wheels, your 1964 Daytona Convertible was Serial Number 64V7089, originally shipped to Virginia with R2 engine JTSJ316 under the hood, oddly feeding all that power into a standard-duty(!) (YES; not heavy-duty, water-cooled or Powershift!) column Flightomatic transmission! [:0] [8D] BP

Comment

Thanks Bob,I cant believe you solved this mystery so quickly! Now all I have to do is figure out how it got to PA from Virginia.

Bob Langer
                        63 Avanti
                        Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks Bob,I cant believe you solved this mystery so quickly! Now all I have to do is figure out how it got to PA from Virginia.

Bob Langer
                          63 Avanti
                          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Now all I have to do is figure out how it got to PA from Virginia.
                            Driven?

Comment

Now all I have to do is figure out how it got to PA from Virginia.
                              Driven?

Comment

Working...
                              X