PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication Points You'll Miss Unless....

jg61hawk
04-15-2017, 07:20 PM
The owner's manual (yes the glove box booklet) is really a great source of information. I especially use the lubrication part. It shows the driveshaft U joints, the oilers on the distributor and the oilers on the generator. It shows the oil on the felt under the rotor. It says to wash out the oil filler cap (breather). Do you remember to check the differential, the steering box, the lube zerk on the pedal near the master cylinder or the zerk on the shift column?

I've owned my car over 40 years but I still use the owner's manual as an annual checklist when the spring comes. Just a suggestion.

TWChamp
04-15-2017, 08:09 PM
I took the lubrication chart in the shop manual to the print shop and had it blown up to poster size. Makes a handy wall hanger in the garage.

studegary
04-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I believe that the Zerk fittings on the center pivot (in the front crossmember) and the fitting on the shift mechanism on the column are two that are commonly missed.

altair
04-16-2017, 02:06 AM
On some differential housings there are plugs to be removed, grease nipple to insert, fill the cavity with grease until it comes out of the vent hole. I don't think these are ever touched. These are all but invisible as they are covered with dirt and rust. There is a snap ring cover maybe.

55 56 PREZ 4D
04-16-2017, 02:58 AM
The clutch release shaft.

drrotor
04-16-2017, 09:59 AM
I recently greased our '52 Champion and I think I recall there was 32 fittings?

jackb
04-16-2017, 12:18 PM
again... if you've correctly removed and packed the rear outer axle bearings and set endplay, you'll never need to grease them again in your lifetime....50K miles changes...with today's lubes...

bezhawk
04-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Shifter mechanism on the bottom of the steering column. Hood and trunk hinges also should get a swipe of grease while your at it.