Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubrication Points You'll Miss Unless....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication Points You'll Miss Unless....

The owner's manual (yes the glove box booklet) is really a great source of information. I especially use the lubrication part. It shows the driveshaft U joints, the oilers on the distributor and the oilers on the generator. It shows the oil on the felt under the rotor. It says to wash out the oil filler cap (breather). Do you remember to check the differential, the steering box, the lube zerk on the pedal near the master cylinder or the zerk on the shift column?

I've owned my car over 40 years but I still use the owner's manual as an annual checklist when the spring comes. Just a suggestion.

I took the lubrication chart in the shop manual to the print shop and had it blown up to poster size. Makes a handy wall hanger in the garage.

Comment

I believe that the Zerk fittings on the center pivot (in the front crossmember) and the fitting on the shift mechanism on the column are two that are commonly missed.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

On some differential housings there are plugs to be removed, grease nipple to insert, fill the cavity with grease until it comes out of the vent hole. I don't think these are ever touched. These are all but invisible as they are covered with dirt and rust. There is a snap ring cover maybe.

Comment

The clutch release shaft.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I recently greased our '52 Champion and I think I recall there was 32 fittings?
            1950 Commander Land Cruiser
            1951 Champion Business Coupe
            1951 Commander Starlight
            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
            1953 Champion Starlight
            1953 Commander Starliner
            1953 2R5
            1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
            1959 Silver Hawk
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
            1965 Cruiser
            1970 Avanti

Comment

again... if you've correctly removed and packed the rear outer axle bearings and set endplay, you'll never need to grease them again in your lifetime....50K miles changes...with today's lubes...

Comment

Shifter mechanism on the bottom of the steering column. Hood and trunk hinges also should get a swipe of grease while your at it.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X