Wiper Repair - '50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Wiper Repair - '50 Champion

It's was good advise from a forum member to apply a little oil to the wiper mechanism. Seemed to make a bit of difference. But the operation is still weak.

What can I hope to achieve by investigating the innards? Is there a diaphragm that can be restored or replaced?

On another tack, has anyone added a small vacuum pump to boost the power. Would more vacuum be a possibility worth considering?
    1950 Champion
    1962 MGA

Dual action (fuel and vacuum) fuel pumps were available as a factory option to boost wiper speed. Rebuilt units are probably available from a Stude vendor.

Wiper motors can be rebuilt by wiperman.com.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Somewhere, in my pile of junk, I have a six volt electric vacuum pump. I bought it off ebay several years ago. My plans was to use the thing along with spare wiper motors to build some kind of animated stuffed animal display. I never have gotten around to that project.

The truth about using engine vacuum for wiper motor power is that the wiper motor can be in excellent condition but, not the engine. Even if the engine is in great shape, available vacuum varies with acceleration. Most of us kids were grown by the time my Dad abandoned his 40 Chevy in favor of a used International pickup. (With electric wiper power)

All those years, putting up with the ultimate "delayed" wipers. I think I could be forgiven for having a little bit of confusion, of why some folks were excited about buying a car with electric wipers that included a "DELAY" feature.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 48 Champion came with a 12 volt vacuum pump, switches, everything to make it work, and it worked really well, although I only drove it in the rain once. I removed the entire system, including the cables, pulleys, pivots, etc, all in like new condition, and installed a modern electric wiper system.

I will edit this post with photos of what I have in the next couple of days. I have been planning to advertise this stuff sometime soon. I also have the complete Climatizer system, all the ducts, blower, heat exchanger etc. and a pair of 1950 grilles and tail lights.
        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

48Skyliner - I would be interested in what you have for the '50 Stude.
          1950 Champion
          1962 MGA

Comment

Working...
          X