Need part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Need part

I went to start the Hawk yesterday and accidentally had it in drive and it started in gear. Luckily I had my foot on the brake so no harm no foul. When I investigated I found that the little rod connecting the safety cutout switch to the shift linkage was missing, it had either broken or just fell out.
    I am wondering if anyone has an extra one or at least measurement so I can make one. SI shown that these are no longer available from them. Picture would help if I have to make one. Don
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

If you can tell me where to look assuming a 63/64 Lark/Commander have the same part I may have a spare.

Comment

This is inside the engine bay, just as the steering column goes through the firewall you will see a switch with wire connections. There should be a small rod connecting the switch to the rod that goes down to the transmission. That is the rod I need.
      Don Watson
      61 Hawk

Comment

whitehawk759, here is what the one on my 55 coupe looks like. Perhaps similar ? Looks like it could easily be made from a Holley carb secondary kick open link !
        Attached Files

Comment

I had the exact thought about the Holley carb linkage and I just happen to have an old one in my garage, I just didn't know what kind of bend it had in it. Thanks for the picture.
          Don Watson
          61 Hawk

Comment

You're welcome, Don. If you need measurements or anything, let me know, although yours may be different.

Comment

Sorry, I appear to be missing that too, should be easily fabricated though.

Comment

There are many versions of this link.
                They are held in by a cotter pin that rusts and breaks letting the link fall out.
                Good PM item "replace cotter pin and smear some grease on it"
                Look in the parts book and find the correct part number.
                I can check my inventory to see if I stock them.

Comment

Aaron (Garthok):
                  Your Neutral and or Backup light Switch is on the right side of the Steering column under the Dash, has no link and completely different.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you do need the linkage I have one. cowboy204@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X