Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best battery connections ?? (12V positive ground to 12V negative ground...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Best battery connections ?? (12V positive ground to 12V negative ground...)

Finally going to change over to (-) ground on my 53' 2R6. I'd like a working gas gage and could want some 12V accessories later... Right now, my battery ground cable (+) is attached under my oil filter bracket to the head. Is this the best place to attach my new (-) ground battery cable ? Before I buy new cables @ FLAPS (present cables (00) are screw/crush type), need best length advise.

I don't know how original you want to be but on my cars I run a continuous ground from the battery to the engine to the frame or frame to engine. I buy one long enough to go the complete distance and add a connector to the middle of the cable by skinning back the wires,adding a clamp and adding solder to reduce corrosion at that point. I look at it like a grounding the power into your home. Nothing beats a continuous ground.

I always connect to the block out of habit.

You can see the frame connection on the black wire on my Avanti that then connects to the block. Because it runs from the trunk it's also connected to the frame in the rear. One can't have enough grounding on an Avanti although I know yours is a truck.

Bob

Comment

I like to attach the ground close to the starter, figuring it draws more current than anything else. Put it under one of the starter mounting bolts if possible. Make sure you have a strap from the engine to the body and one between the engine and frame. I ran a jumper around the motor mount using the top and bottom bolts, and a strap from the back of the right head to the firewall.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

My negative (12V -) cable is bolted to a starter bolt, and I have the original flat braided strap from the block to the frame. What is recommended for the block to body connection?

Comment

"You can't have enough ground connections".
          This from people that know.

The more electronics, the better engine, chassis, and body grounds need to be. All connected together, in more than one place.
          You should see the quantity of ground connections on aircraft and spacecraft. Even new computer driven cars.

Mike

Comment

I also have my -12V cable going to a starter bolt. I then have the classic braided strap from the block to the frame at the engine mount. I also ran a 10awg ground from neg battery post to the steel support bar under the dash. I landed it on the bolts that mount the bar to the body. I figure this gives me a good ground point on that bar which is convenient because a lot of dash mount stuff needs a ground connection. By using that bolt, it also grounds the body tub.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X