PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker at the track 4-9-17 results

shifter4
04-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Had a so-so day at the Track yesterday 4-9-17 .
Various problems on 2 of the 4 runs , so only 2 were decent .
Bright blue sky , and about 80 deg .

Running the Evans intake . Pretty sure that it will be an improvement in the long run , but a
Carb problem has interfered . The " stumble ' at the hit , which I thought was gone returned .
I'll do a total carb rebuild etc . ( I really did not want to do too much for this event , because I wanted
to compare Apples to Apples .)

Results were mixed. MPH is pretty good for this car , and the 60 ft times were good also , especially when considering the
stumble .
60 fts were 1.991 , 1.865 , 1.878 , 1.870 .

2 Best MPHs 94.80 and 94.52

2 best Ets 14.125 and 14.057

As I don't qualify to run in the fast guy lanes , I am surrounded by a horde of various Hemi powered Dodges , and new Mustangs , with a few
Turbo Subbies and the like over in the " street class " . But , I did win one out of my 4 runs , somehow .

52-fan
04-10-2017, 09:06 AM
It's always interesting to see your reports. One fine day everything will work like you want it.

t walgamuth
04-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Glad you're having fun with it!

Mike Van Veghten
04-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Bill -

As you might know, depending on the plenum size difference between your previous vs. the Evans manifold, a larger plenum will require a larger amount of fuel to enter the plenum at the hit of the throttle. A idle fuel (mixture screws) increase will also help.
A lot of times, even a couple of degrees of ignition timing help.

Mike

shifter4
04-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Bill -

As you might know, depending on the plenum size difference between your previous vs. the Evans manifold, a larger plenum will require a larger amount of fuel to enter the plenum at the hit of the throttle. A idle fuel (mixture screws) increase will also help.
A lot of times, even a couple of degrees of ignition timing help.

Mike
I did basically anticipate that , and set the idle a little on the rich side . The Evans is a single plane , but the Morgan is a dual plane , but
I had a quite high spacer/stack on it , and a good bit of the divider was cut down also , so had a goodly volume in there . The problem was there
to an extent before the intake change , but I thought that I had tuned it away with the idle set and making sure that the stroke of the pump was the quickest .
It had not shown up , or been noticeable before late last year .
Will be ready to move the timing , depending on results .
I'm gonna do the carb , verify the metering rod movement etc etc , and go back whenever possible .

Thanks for the comment .

Buzzard
04-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Hi Bill,
What car and carburetor are you running? Air cleaner? Open exhaust or closed? Distributor? Plugs? See where I'm going?
Bill

shifter4
04-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Hi Bill,
What car and carburetor are you running? Air cleaner? Open exhaust or closed? Distributor? Plugs? See where I'm going?
Bill

Here is the entire story .

12 pages .

http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2360

parts
04-10-2017, 11:48 PM
REAL nice ! Good times too..

Buzzard
04-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Thanks Bill H,
Nice build and I'm sure your times will just keep improving.
Cheers, Bill