Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing outer wheelwells on a Lark???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing outer wheelwells on a Lark???

I had an odd thought when reading a post on welding on rear fenders...

Has anyone adapted an outer wheelwell to a lark to cut down on the crud that could get cast up into the open Lark fenderwells.

Another thought I had is if anyone tubbed a Lark body as an extreme solution to rust, with the full knowledge that the result is nowhere near "stock" an may result in massive interior modification.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I would think adding a wheel well would cause more problems than it would solve- starting with the fact that the wheel wells on a Lark aren't all that wide to start with...

I don't think crud in the wheel wells is an issue anyway- that only comes into play when you're driving in snow and the accompanying salt, and I doubt any nice Lark is subjected to that any more.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

I had an odd thought when reading a post on welding on rear fenders...

Has anyone adapted an outer wheelwell to a lark to cut down on the crud that could get cast up into the open Lark fenderwells.

Another thought I had is if anyone tubbed a Lark body as an extreme solution to rust, with the full knowledge that the result is nowhere near "stock" an may result in massive interior modification.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
      The Replacements.
      Hello Jeff,

If what you are calling an outer wheelwell is a panel fabricated inside the existing wheelwell, then, yes, I had done that. I made inner splash panels for the front of my '64 Cruiser 15 years ago. I did not make any for the rear. However, I made both front and rear ones for my '63 Hawk long before I made them for the Cruiser. They keep mud and snow from accumulating behind the headlights and in the areas where the fenders attach. They work well and I believe help a lot to prolong the life of a car that is used a lot. Mud tends to hold moisture against the metal. Once there, the dirt re-wets every time the car is driven in rain and perpetuates an undesirable condition. Also, as mentioned, snow on roads often contains salt which you definitely do not want accumulating under the fenders. It is a lot easier to hose the mud or salt out from the wheelwells if inner splash panels are in place. Obviously, I think they are a worthwhile addition for anyone who routinely drives their car under anything but the best of conditions.

Dale

Comment

Working...
      X