No announcement yet.

Tire Changing (machine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire Changing (machine)

I'm going to ask all to assume I'm talking about changing tires on a Studebaker (specifically) but knowing the device can be used on any car. I'd put this in Stovehugger but you can't post pictures - and without pictures you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. And, this really is a somewhat Technical related question. So, please "work" with me here.

OK, so I have the cheap but functional Harbor Freight tire changer. The first three tires I mounted and balanced it paid for itself. That said, it could stand to be a bit more robust. Today I was at a swapmeet and bought this changer (see pictures). It is actually a rather sturdy (compared to the HF tool). However, I can't find ANYTHING relating to it on line. Not a picture, not an ad, NOTHING. There are no labels, stamped ID markings, cast in markings, NOTHING. No "Made In" anywhere. A few of the cast pieces have casting numbers. I'm within 15 miles of the HF main warehouse and I've purchased "parking lot sale" items that were one-off manufacturers presentation items that HF decided to not carry. And this tire changer has that same "vibe."

The design looks Old School but it seems brand new and never used. There is also a bladder (on the side) that inflates and I'd assume that assists in breaking the bead. ANY help in identifying this and its function would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 04-08-2017, 02:32 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

That picture is linked to a closed 2013 Ebay auction for $250.

Not much info, but yours looks to be in way better shape and more complete.

Comment

Are you sure that is not Air Powered, maybe missing some parts?

I remember the "Tireman" line but forgot the Mfg.'s name.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your upper and lower bead breakers look identical to my manual Coats tire changer, except you have a diaphram to push the lower bead breaker, while I lift up on a handle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coats Tire Machine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1713208

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
          http://img0129.popscreencdn.com/1810...ad-breaker.jpg

That picture is linked to a closed 2013 Ebay auction for $250.

Not much info, but yours looks to be in way better shape and more complete.
          Thanks all. Yes, I agree it looks like the one in the image you have linked. As I stated the one I bought doesn't look like it has ever been used. I paid $60 for it. Seems it was a decent buy if the one in the picture was $250.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Great deal!, mounting & balancing tires is pricey these days,....that changer looks great for occasional Stude use!

Comment

I bought a bolt down changer at Harbor Freight about 8 years ago.... works like a charm
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I did an extensive Google Image search (using terms like vintage, antique, old etc.) and never found the exact tire changer. In fact, I only found one that came close, but lacked the bead breaker rubber donut on the side (see image). It was referred to in the ad as an "All State" Tire Changer. I search that out as well as an "Allstate" (Sears) but got nothing. Unique to this model is the bladder that activates the bead breaker and the fact that the pedestal is offset on the mounting base.

When the guy sold it to me he mentioned that it was "Powdercoated" and thus at least hints at being old. But, if it is old it sure looks good for its age. The welds are nice and nothing looks beat on, twisted or other signs of being thrashed.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'd check the hardware if not SAE more than likely a product of China

Comment

I'd bet Coats made the Allstate in #8 because the removal bar is identical to my Coats bar.

Comment

That tire machine sure looks like the one I used at the local college back in 1982. I only used it to break down tiresand I needed to go though a bunch to get two true ones for Pinkie. I would Not use them no more so much easire doing business with a tire shop that has free flat repair. I have to explain why my Stude rims NEED beadseal because the "technicians" do not understand the different bead angle that was used back then.
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment