Gremlins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Gremlins?

I was looking forward to driving my '54 to our chapter meeting today. I went out and uncovered it this morning, reconnected the battery, started it and let it run awhile. Later I went in to start it and go to the meeting, and it acted like the battery was dead. Very dim dome light, hardly enough power to click the solenoid. I unhooked the battery ground and put the charger on for a few minutes.
    I tried hooking up the ground again. It made a big arc when I touched the cable to the post, like there was a big current draw. This was with everything off, doors shut so no dome light, all switches and key off.
    I unhooked both cables, and left it alone while I went to the meeting. A couple of hours later I went out to trouble shoot. I unhooked the feed wire from the regulator to the battery connection at the solenoid and the wire feeding in to the ammeter. I reconnected the battery cables, and tried reconnecting the wires one at a time. I figured which ever one had the short on it would cause the draw, and I would know which direction to start looking. I reconnected the regulator wire first, no spark, battery showed good charge with meter. I hooked the ammeter wire back up, same result,no problems. I tried cranking it and it started right up. Took a short drive, everything works, ammeter showing charge, all electrics working normally.
    I got thinking, I forgot to polarize the generator when I reconnected the battery this morning. It had been disconnected for the winter. I unhooked the battery, rehooked it and polarized it per the shop manual. I've read failing to do this can cause the regulator points to arc. Is it possible my regulator points had stuck and the battery was discharging to ground through the generator?
    Having a problem like this just "go away" on its own scares me. I don't want it to happen and leave me stranded somewhere, or god forbid catch fire.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

As you said; it sounds like the regulator cut out points stuck when you first started the car and turned it off. A good reason to always disconnect the ground wire from the battery when not using the car.
    As long as the generator is charging there is no reason to repolarize it.
    A short is always possible but seldom goes away by itself.
    Ron

Comment

This happened to me once. I could hear a sizzling noise and my ammeter was pegged at discharge. I opened the hood and one light tap on the voltage regulator and it stopped.
      Now for the rest of the story: It did this again and I did not realize it and ended the day with a discharged battery. Replace your regulator the first chance you get or it may happen twice or more like it did for me.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will get a new regulator right away.

Comment

When I bought my 1950 Champion 3 years ago it had a brand new regulator, but it was likely made in China, and the contacts were way out of adjustment and alignment. I corrected it and adjust the setting, but I found an original Autolite regulator on ebay and I restored that to use. I only like to use original quality parts when possible, especially for the electrical items.

Comment

If it works for you so be it, but I had a similar situation and it was the starter motor, there was excessive debris from the brushes inside the housing that it shorted to ground. It wasn't a big time short but enough to drain the battery fairly quickly. If your problem reappears try disconnecting the starter cable.

Comment

Found it!

I took the regulator off today, and noticed it rattled. When I took the cover off I found this pea size ball of solder rolling around loose.
              It must have finally bounced to where it caused a short. Too bad, it was a made in USA part, new a couple of years ago.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1713210

Comment

Had my regulator stick like that once and nearly burned up my '50 truck.... wiring was melting by the time I stopped and jerked the battery cable off....

AMMETER was pegged.

Comment

"Having a problem like this just "go away" on its own scares me. I don't want it to happen and leave me stranded somewhere, or god forbid catch fire.
                  Any ideas?"

I have and idea - install a modern alternator with internal regulator. I guarantee you will not have that problem again, and there are no regulator points to stick. Of course if you only drive it 200-300 miles a year, it may not be worth the expense.

I personally would not drive a car with a generator, an externally regulated alternator, or a points type distributor. These things are easily swapped, and the time you spend doing it will probably be saved later in reduced maintenance.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I've seen alternator regulators give problems lots of times. It doesn't matter if they are internal or external. I've also seen the diodes and diode trio burn out. I've never had a generator or regulator problem when using original equipment. I've also never had points and condensers give me a problem. I see no reason to change from original parts, just be sure to use original parts and not some cheap China parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X