59-60 Lark front fender issues continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59-60 Lark front fender issues continue

Now Im really confused. Back on December 28-29 the question was posed here concerning the front fenders from a 61 Lark fitting a 59 or 60. Rumor was that they wont interchange exactly. A week ago a friend called me to tell me of a Lark that had been parked 20+ years ago, and it had excellent front fenders. I went to look and was shocked to discover a nice black 4 door. Single headlight each side but round turn signals. Checking my Tad Burness American Car Spotters guide I discovered it was a 61. I thought all 61 Larks were double headlight cars???? Obviously not.
    So, now that I know that much, will the single headlight 61 fenders fit CORRECTLY on a 59-60?
    p.s. 61 was not for sale, owner a real Elm Street Freddie too!
    mytruck@cfu.net

The headlights mount on the front panel, not the fender, so it's not a issue.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The headlights mount on the front panel, not the fender, so it's not a issue.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The outer fender will fit and that is the part that is usually rusted out. The issue is in the remainder of the fender assembly (inner fender and air deflector behind the headlight(s). In 1959-60 the air to the heater core was channeled through the inner fender. The core was in the inner fender. (It was much too easy changing the heater core. I wonder who ever thought that was a good idea?) In 1961 the heater was moved behind the cowl and the inner fender is very much different.

You can use the '61 outer fender by separating the spot welds from the remainder of the assembly, hold out for the rare complete correct assembly or obtain a new outer fender in fiberglass.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The outer fender will fit and that is the part that is usually rusted out. The issue is in the remainder of the fender assembly (inner fender and air deflector behind the headlight(s). In 1959-60 the air to the heater core was channeled through the inner fender. The core was in the inner fender. (It was much too easy changing the heater core. I wonder who ever thought that was a good idea?) In 1961 the heater was moved behind the cowl and the inner fender is very much different.

You can use the '61 outer fender by separating the spot welds from the remainder of the assembly, hold out for the rare complete correct assembly or obtain a new outer fender in fiberglass.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10
            obtain a new outer fender in fiberglass.
            I would like to know who sells these and how would anyone contact them. I have a pair of slightly rusted ones and have thought about the benefits of fiberglass.

Randy_G
            1959 Lark Sedan
            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10
              obtain a new outer fender in fiberglass.
              I would like to know who sells these and how would anyone contact them. I have a pair of slightly rusted ones and have thought about the benefits of fiberglass.

Randy_G
              1959 Lark Sedan
              This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

there was a place in the turning wheels mag that did reproduction fenders for sale

Comment

there was a place in the turning wheels mag that did reproduction fenders for sale

Comment

Randy, and anyone with a Lark:

If your fenders are only rusted along the back edge, they are a relatively easy repair! There are even repair panels made for them (I'm not sure who it is, as I've always just hand-made patches).

The vast majority of Lark fenders are just rusted along the back edge. You can trim and grind the rusted metal out of the outer skin- the inner brace rarely has any rust- and clean out the gap between the inner brace and outer skin; weld in the repair; and thoroughly coat with POR-15 from the inside.

If you decide not to fix the originals, don't throw them away! Someone like me would love to save 'em!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Randy, and anyone with a Lark:

If your fenders are only rusted along the back edge, they are a relatively easy repair! There are even repair panels made for them (I'm not sure who it is, as I've always just hand-made patches).

The vast majority of Lark fenders are just rusted along the back edge. You can trim and grind the rusted metal out of the outer skin- the inner brace rarely has any rust- and clean out the gap between the inner brace and outer skin; weld in the repair; and thoroughly coat with POR-15 from the inside.

If you decide not to fix the originals, don't throw them away! Someone like me would love to save 'em!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

1961 Lark Regal and Cruiser models had dual headlights. 1961 Lark Deluxe models had single headlights standard with dual headlights as an option.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

1961 Lark Regal and Cruiser models had dual headlights. 1961 Lark Deluxe models had single headlights standard with dual headlights as an option.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X