PDA

View Full Version : clean clean clean 53 K restomod on ebay

junior
04-07-2017, 09:05 PM
wow, very nice. killer interior and trunk upholstery. turns my crank...someone built a nice Stude! check it out. cheers, Junior

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Studebaker-Champion-Regal-/272613372879?hash=item3f7905f3cf:g:KUgAAOSwCU1Y3u5k&vxp=mtr

Xcalibur
04-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the note. A lengthy ebay description, but not a lot of actual information about the build nor parts used. For example, the Champion frame was still of lighter-weight steel at that time. Any clues as to what was done with the ol' frame, if anything? What of the front suspension? What of the rear leaf-spring suspension? For me, way too many questions without seeing it and garnering some sort of info about the car's history, pre and post-build. Possibly a nice enough car... if one could live with blue and red.

studegary
04-07-2017, 09:52 PM
It looks nice, but at $34K, I would expect more. It does not have later suspension. It does not have air conditioning and not even the fender fresh air vents. I guess that it is a car to show and not to drive.
They use the body identity combined with the body number as a VIN.

sweetolbob
04-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the note. A lengthy ebay description, but not a lot of actual information about the build nor parts used. For example, the Champion frame was still of lighter-weight steel at that time. Any clues as to what was done with the ol' frame, if anything? What of the front suspension? What of the rear leaf-spring suspension? For me, way too many questions without seeing it and garnering some sort of info about the car's history, pre and post-build. Possibly a nice enough car... if one could live with blue and red.

Front and rear suspension appear to be 53 OEM. Looks like a Ford 9" rear end added. There's a rear tranny mount installed and also a decent "K" member behind it but I don't see any evidence of a bat wing. All-in-all, with the quality of the body I would expect to see the undercarriage in better nick. Take a look at the A-arm and the schmutz on it.

The frame would be OK with the 350/350 combo it seems to have as long as the metal is solid in the frame. They stiffen up pretty well with solid hog troughs and body mounts. It's not a race car nor high powered drag racer so the frame should make it streetable.

Overall a nice car but I'd want to have a really good look at it for that price as with the appearance underneath could foretell other short cuts taken.

Bob

Andy R.
04-07-2017, 10:23 PM
This blue/red car seems familiar. I can't forget that color combination since I like both colors, just not together.
Was it featured in Turning Wheels or some other publication?

StudeRich
04-08-2017, 01:51 AM
The outside looks Great, but the Interior is horrid, looks like the inside of a Spaceship. :mad:

t walgamuth
04-08-2017, 03:35 AM
I like that color combo.

wolfie
04-08-2017, 06:23 AM
I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it. Still love it. steve

mbstude
04-08-2017, 06:53 AM
The outside looks Great, but the Interior is horrid, looks like the inside of a Spaceship. :mad:

Rich, if you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to insult another person's hard work.

This car belongs to (and was built by) Wayne Lee in Georgia. Wayne has been active in the SDC for decades and he's a member of this forum. I'm sure that if anyone were seriously interested in this car, he'd be more than open and honest about the car's build and what it is. I remember riding in it when it was still in primer more than 10 years ago.

It's a nice car that runs like a bat out of hell. I hope it goes to a good home.

t walgamuth
04-08-2017, 07:13 AM
It looks great! If I bought it I'd have to change the wheels and put in a chromed grill and headlight trims. But not in the market for anything at the moment.

junior
04-08-2017, 07:34 AM
This blue/red car seems familiar. I can't forget that color combination since I like both colors, just not together.
Was it featured in Turning Wheels or some other publication?

I think Jeff Rice has posted photos of the interior on this forum.

JRoberts
04-08-2017, 07:39 AM
I don't see a problem with the interior, or any part of the car for that matter. It is a touring car not a race car. I have seen this car in person and it is gorgeous.

junior
04-08-2017, 07:59 AM
...It's a nice car.... I hope it goes to a good home.

That goes for me too! Honestly, I don't know why I posted this on the forum...guess I was just excited about it because its such a cool car but I forgot when cars for sale get posted on this forum they are subject to being nit-picked to death. This, and all cars are never 100% the way I would build them but makes no matter as I like to focus on the positive aspects of them. This is one sharp car IMO, and is exactly the type of Studebaker that catches most non-Studebaker folks attention. Resto-mods, gassers, and ratty types are presently the cars that are going to draw attention to this club and this brand which in turn will only support SDC not detract from it. But, as has been mentioned many times, this forum can be its own worst enemy to promoting growth of the SDC. Kudos to the builder, hope he gets a decent amount of $ for the car and hope the new owner drives the wheels off of it. Cheerio, Junior.

jclary
04-08-2017, 08:27 AM
I agree with just about everything Junior posted 'cept for the "hope the new owner drives the wheels off it.";) Personally, I hope the new owner takes as good care of it as the builder...and so on for all subsequent owners. Opinions are just that...opinions. Positive or negative, we should respect the right for all to express them. I remember, for many years after Studebaker ceased making cars, anyone who had one had to have a tough skin to be seen in a Studebaker. It is a "big boy" world, and we should be able to "take it."

Sometimes, our negative comments reveal more about ourselves than what we are commenting on. In that regard, we need to be willing to "take it" too. Many of us, like a rooster, are quick to "crow with pride," when offering our opinion (guilty myself:o), but have a difficult time "eating crow.":oops:

This car looks to have been done with care and skill. I have some questions about certain things, but since I'm not "in the game" as a bidder, I'm not going to stir that pot. However, my opinion is that it is tasteful and clean. I would be proud to be seen with it at any meet or cruise-in. It deserves a better home than my primitive facilities could offer. I hope it lands on concrete, in a clean dry garage, to be pampered, and pulled out for special occasions for all to enjoy.:!:

52-fan
04-08-2017, 08:59 AM
A forum is for comments and expressing an opinion is not the same as picking a car to death. Overall, I like the car, but with that interior I would like a darker outside color. Just my humble opinion. Even a stock car can get criticized for something the original designers did.

t walgamuth
04-08-2017, 10:15 AM
I agree....more positive comments. less grumpiness please!;)

Pat Dilling
04-08-2017, 10:21 AM
I think it is a beautiful car, but then I do like '53 Restomods. :-) The interior is gorgeous, extremely well done. There are a couple things that peak my curiosity. The text says it has power steering, but I do not see a power steering pump or ram. Could be electric I suppose, or simply an error in the posting. Also, in the center console there appears to be Heat/AC controls and vents yet there is no compressor, or even heater hoses coming from the engine. For such a nice car it just seems some things are missing if it was going to be a driver. Hope someone gets it and enjoys it.

Mike Van Veghten
04-08-2017, 10:26 AM
t -

For that much money...there IS more negative than positive...let me count the ways.
Nice driver, but again, a LOT of money for a "driver".

Mike

sweetolbob
04-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Junior, I don't see nitpicking here. If you were a new member, interested in the car, would you rather have a few honest comments about the car or just a bunch of folks gushing about how pretty and nice it looks.

My measure of comments about the car would be, "Did I learn something about the car here?"

They would have learned:

The Champion frame is of thinner metal than the Commander.
The frame has been stiffened with a new trans mount and the addition of a "K" member.
The frame is missing the batwing Studebaker installed in later models to improve rigidity of the body
The car has a 9 in Ford rearend which to anybody of modest car knowledge is an upgrade.
A Champion frame with sturdy hog troughs and solid frame mounts should be just fine to handle the 350/350 combo in the car.
The car does not have a/c nor the fender vents installed by Studebaker to improve interior air flow.
The undercarriage has not been brought to the high standard visible on the body, interior and engine compartment.

I think that the new member has left with more knowledge about what he may want to purchase and be able to ask better questions about the overall build than prior to his visit. That is the reason I posted what I did about the car.

If I go back and look at the individual posts there are seven that compliment the car and that number includes the three that had things to say about build and color combination.

I agree that historically there have been vehicles shown on the forum that have been nitpicked to death and that's not a good way to present a forum. But here I see a fair overview of the car and minimal nitpicking. In my own mind, I would hope that if I offered a car on the forum that it would receive about the same observations so a potential buyer could ask me better questions about the car.

To me, that adds value to the forum. In other words, keep posting neat cars for sale. :D JMHO - Bob

PackardV8
04-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Very nice clean example and couldn't be professionally built for the asking. This one is sufficiently conservative, Chebby 350"/350 and reasonably true to the original, that it should find a wide appeal.

However, on the TV auction shows each week there are equally clean rods and customs going for one-third to one-half of what they cost to build last year. As always, a custom is one man's vision of what he's always dreamed of driving.

But then the question arises, "Why did he put all that time and money into building the car and then very soon sell it at a 50% (or greater) loss?" Probably same reason 50% of marriages end in divorce; half of us dream better than we drive.

jack vines

RadioRoy
04-08-2017, 12:04 PM
As always, a custom is one man's vision of what he's always dreamed of driving.

But then the question arises, "Why did he put all that time and money into building the car and then very soon sell it at a 50% (or greater) loss?" Probably same reason 50% of marriages end in divorce; half of us dream better than we drive.

jack vines

Well asked and well answered. :)

junior
04-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Junior, I don't see nitpicking here. If you were a new member, interested in the car, would you rather have a few honest comments about the car or just a bunch of folks gushing about how pretty and nice it looks.

My measure of comments about the car would be, "Did I learn something about the car here?"

They would have learned:

The Champion frame is of thinner metal than the Commander.
The frame has been stiffened with a new trans mount and the addition of a "K" member.
The frame is missing the batwing Studebaker installed in later models to improve rigidity of the body
The car has a 9 in Ford rearend which to anybody of modest car knowledge is an upgrade.
A Champion frame with sturdy hog troughs and solid frame mounts should be just fine to handle the 350/350 combo in the car.
The car does not have a/c nor the fender vents installed by Studebaker to improve interior air flow.
The undercarriage has not been brought to the high standard visible on the body, interior and engine compartment.

I think that the new member has left with more knowledge about what he may want to purchase and be able to ask better questions about the overall build than prior to his visit. That is the reason I posted what I did about the car.

If I go back and look at the individual posts there are seven that compliment the car and that number includes the three that had things to say about build and color combination.

I agree that historically there have been vehicles shown on the forum that have been nitpicked to death and that's not a good way to present a forum. But here I see a fair overview of the car and minimal nitpicking. In my own mind, I would hope that if I offered a car on the forum that it would receive about the same observations so a potential buyer could ask me better questions about the car.

To me, that adds value to the forum. In other words, keep posting neat cars for sale. :D JMHO - Bob

true, true, true, and true...

I was getting the feeling that this car was going to be nit-picked to death, perhaps the cards are not going to fall that way on this particular post. I realize that we don't all share the same opinions and what one finds cool others don't and that's a good thing. I guess what I really get tired of is reading responses that lack tact and diplomacy when critiquing other's work. In that regard there are a few forum members that could sharpen their skills. I got my Stude on the road in record time this year, Apr.2...still melting ice in my back alley resulting in lots of mud and muck but I'm still going to take it out for a romp right now before Mrs Junior gets home and puts me to work... cheers, junior

ddub
04-08-2017, 12:17 PM
I think the problem with some of the criticisms is not so much the nit picking as the tone and confusing opinion with fact. It is one thing to say I don't care for this about the car and to say the car is crap because I wouldn't do it that way. In this case the builder did it his way, if I don't like it too bad!

S2Deluxe
04-08-2017, 12:52 PM

I like it! If the engine block and heads were also the same red, it would really be stunning and tie it all together better! I don't know, maybe it's just me, who sees it?

Mark

GrumpyOne
04-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Sorry... But when you toss a belly button motah in a Studebaker, I'm not impressed!

PERIOD...

Pat Dilling
04-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Sorry... But when you toss a belly button motah in a Studebaker, I'm not impressed!

PERIOD...

So... You don't like any '65-'66 Studebakers then. lol ;-)

studegary
04-08-2017, 05:35 PM
EBay is an AUCTION site. I think that he may do better by starting an auction with a low starting price, to get people interested, and have a reserve that he can live with.

bezhawk
04-08-2017, 06:45 PM
I like everything about it, almost. I would do the dash and door panels differently. I love the seats and console. Always hated the argyle floor mats. Would add the better late style anti sway bars. Tiny nits .

t walgamuth
04-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Jim Rathman's winning Indy car was Blue with a lovely red interior.....I guess that's not purple but still similar...? Oh maybe not so much.;)

clonelark
04-09-2017, 08:46 AM
If your gonna knock the car send a picture of yours.

studegary
04-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Rich, if you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to insult another person's hard work.

This car belongs to (and was built by) Wayne Lee in Georgia. Wayne has been active in the SDC for decades and he's a member of this forum. I'm sure that if anyone were seriously interested in this car, he'd be more than open and honest about the car's build and what it is. I remember riding in it when it was still in primer more than 10 years ago.

It's a nice car that runs like a bat out of hell. I hope it goes to a good home.

I know this wasn't aimed at me. I wasn't trying to knock the car, but I was explaining why I am not interested. I didn't know that this is Wayne's car. Wayne did a very nice modified pickup before this car. He was selling his pickup in order to start the build of a Starliner (this car). At a Florida State Meet that I drove down to (Gainesville), I looked at and drove Wayne's pickup. One of the main things that kept me from buying it on the spot was the lack of power steering. It may not matter to some, but it was a deal breaker for me. Since then I have purchased two modified Studebaker pickups with power steering (and most everything else).

S2Deluxe
04-09-2017, 08:57 PM

PERIOD...

Then maybe you'd be impressed by something more like this? It's no belly button and probably not quite clean clean clean or For Sale either, but

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/1MarkFrost/Mobile%20Uploads/stude%2013_zpsumylsliz.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/1MarkFrost/media/Mobile%20Uploads/stude%2013_zpsumylsliz.jpg.html)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/1MarkFrost/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsy3nccwt0.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/1MarkFrost/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsy3nccwt0.jpg.html)

it does have '65 - '66 Stude water outlets!

Mark

Jerry Forrester
04-10-2017, 09:44 PM
EBay is an AUCTION site. I think that he may do better by starting an auction with a low starting price, to get people interested, and have a reserve that he can live with.

The car is on consignment with Streetside Motors in Litha Springs, Ga. The owner of the car (a personal friend of mine) has nothing to do with how and where it is advertised. You can probably find it advertised in many places. Anyone interested in more info on the car will have to contact Streetside motors, they call it 'Streetside Motors Atlanta' but it is really in Litha Springs, Ga about three miles from my shop. They sold two of my cars with-in the last few years. Good people to do business with. I recommend them highly.

parts
04-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Nice car done well...
Georgia car and here in Tucson I'd want AC,,

Looks like my motor,,(350 block)but mine is torsion bars and rear is bagged.. 62 Hawk interior but I would drive that car !

kurtruk
04-11-2017, 12:02 AM
From the text of the ad...

Chrome and stainless trim is a big part of any '50s car's appeal, and this Studebaker is no exception, offering lots of the bright stuff to really make the details stand out.

Uh, no...Bourke's design was so different from the Detroit norm at that time---the very sparing use of brightwork! And with this example's painted grilles and grille surrounds, headlight rims, and windshield trim---it offers even less. :oops:

t walgamuth
04-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Nice car done well...
Georgia car and here in Tucson I'd want AC,,

Looks like my motor,,but mine is torsion bars and rear is bagged.. 62 Hawk interior but I would drive that car !

Lovely car Ken! I just ordered wheels like that for my CE.

JRoberts
04-11-2017, 07:52 AM
So... You don't like any '65-'66 Studebakers then. lol ;-)
LOL! Good one Pat.

Buzzard
04-11-2017, 11:49 AM
This whole posting is FUNNY!
Bill

studegary
04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I contacted them. They verified that it does not have power steering. I believe that they removed that statement (that it has PS) from the listing. They did not post my questions/answers. They also stated that it is registered utilizing the body model and number, not the Serial Number.

t walgamuth
04-11-2017, 03:02 PM
I contacted them. They verified that it does not have power steering. I believe that they removed that statement (that it has PS) from the listing. They did not post my questions/answers. They also stated that it is registered utilizing the body model and number, not the Serial Number.

Is that a problem for titling it somewhere else?

parts
04-12-2017, 01:06 AM
Lovely car Ken! I just ordered wheels like that for my CE.
Thanks !
Love the American Racing mags..
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17880073_10155127131035138_5566839716763674601_o.jpg?oh=248c27ac90dbc723113f0660 bba40a6b&oe=5986BC37

hausdok
04-12-2017, 04:22 AM
I like it. All of it.

Gosh, how great it would be if we could all get our cars to look even half as good, stock or mod; instead of so many of them left sitting for years in sheds, yards and fields while we dream about one day restoring them, never getting around to it and then they get sold for parts with years of additional weathering and deterioration added to what they were when we got them.

t walgamuth
04-12-2017, 07:09 AM
But unless they are outside they are much better off than crushed...well even if outside!

Thanks for the additional pic Ken! Actually my wheels will be dull gray in the center I think. they should be here any day now.

That coupe sure is stylish. Putting out the little vent windows in back adds a little interest too!