Nice 1963 Avanti wrecked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 1963 Avanti wrecked

A very nice 1963 Avanti, R1630, was destroyed when rear-ended on Nova Scotia highway 101 in November 2016.

The car was the grand prize in the Keystone Chapter's annual raffle at the SDC International Meet in South Bend in 2002. Graham Gagné of Cook's Brook, Nova Scotia was the winner. (Graham was a founding member of the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC in 1996, and has served as our editor ever since.)

Graham improved the car in many ways over the 12 years he and Katherine owned it. It was a very attractive beige colour. They drove it to many Chapter events.

In 2014, Graham sold the car as he has two other Studebakers. The new owner had long dreamed of owning an Avanti. Although aware of SDC and our Chapter, he chose not to join, so I do not have his name. He was seriously injured, having teeth knocked out and a broken leg. He credited the seat belt and roll bar with saving his life.
    Last edited by Greenstude; 04-05-2017, 04:07 PM.
    Bill Jarvis

It's critically important to add a '3rd' brake light inside the rear window of a Studebaker Avanti at bottom OR top center..... Avanti tailights are quite small in comparison to what folks are used to seeing today, and difficult to see sometimes!

(Don't ask me how I know!!!)....Unless it's a 'trailer queen', as many Studebaker Avantis unfortunately now are,....ADD THAT 3RD TAILIGHT!!!!!!

Comment

I have been running 3rd brake lights for about 20 years, in all Studes. Even so, I have met several folks in modern brand 'X' cars who were rear ended, or hit head on by texting drivers. In many accidents involving texters, there are no skid marks, because the texter does not even look up.

So even a neon sign on the rear of a Stude would not keep a texter from running into you. Sorry to hear of this guy's loss, but glad he survived.

Comment

I've been driving my Studebakers with the headlights ON at all times, even during the daytime. Starting in 1990, vehicles sold new in Canada have required Daytime Running Lights by law, and now people are so accustomed to seeing vehicles with the lights on all the time, other drivers will take left turns immediately in front of you, either oncoming, or from a side street.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I've been driving my Studebakers with the headlights ON at all times, even during the daytime. Starting in 1990, vehicles sold new in Canada have required Daytime Running Lights by law, and now people are so accustomed to seeing vehicles with the lights on all the time, other drivers will take left turns immediately in front of you, either oncoming, or from a side street.

Craig
          Good thought!...And while we're mentioning lights, you folks out there still flogging 6 volt cars should keep your HIGH beams on at night, as they are normally about as bright as modern cars LOW beams...It helps to be seen!

Comment

I do this as well. Also keep the headlights on in daytime while driving my modern car, which only has parking lights as daytime running lights.

As for inattentive drivers --- I was rear-ended one time while driving a 48-passenger school bus in slow traffic -- the other driver was on his cell phone. Another school bus here was rear-ended while stopped with the red lights flashing to pick up students -- by happy coincidence, a police car coming the other way was stopped in front of the bus, so the driver of the car got a very expensive ticket, probably followed by a significant increase in his insurance premiums.
            Last edited by Greenstude; 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

I had a lady rearend my Hawk several years ago while she was texting, then tried to sue me stating I had thrown my car into reverse and totaled her car and injured her passenger. Luckily for me there were witnesses. Only damage to my Hawk was the rear bumper and valence got bent a little and the original style oval exhaust tips got smashed. Her car was totaled.

Comment

In the UK, it is illegal to use the cell phone and the Police will to confiscate a cell phone in an accident as the first thing they do. Needless to write, there are idiots out there that kill, maim and ruin families lives

A lorry driver distracted by his mobile phone who killed a mother and three children in a pile-up is jailed for 10 years.
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                  In the UK, it is illegal to use the cell phone and the Police will to confiscate a cell phone in an accident as the first thing they do. Needless to write, there are idiots out there that kill, maim and ruin families lives

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37823457
                  Yep, it was a young guy texting the other day that killed 13 people in Texas when he hit the bus head on. He lived and all but one on the bus died. Strange that Texas doesn't have a law against texting while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Good thought!...And while we're mentioning lights, you folks out there still flogging 6 volt cars should keep your HIGH beams on at night, as they are normally about as bright as modern cars LOW beams...It helps to be seen!
                    They do make 6-volt halogen headlights you know~!

Comment

That's exactly why I installed Red LED lights in the rear lights of my '63 Avanti. I'm not sure if anyone even pays attention to the 3rd (CHMSL) lights anymore so I haven't gone that route. I used to walk to work, 4 miles each way & did so for almost 10 years. I finally had to give it up. There are too many distracted drivers, many of which I observed daily, & I thought it was ridiculous to have worked as long as I have and risk my retirement on testing a driver who ran a light or worse. I've seen too many incidents in those ten years to scare me into driving to work. I miss walking, however I look forward to retiring and being alive and able to walk somewhere more safe. NHTSA released its latest estimate based off of 2015 statistics and it states that 60% of the drivers on the roadway today are engaged in either talking or texting on cell phones. You got me started, but I think unless the U.S. wakes up & makes the penalties as severe for texting or talking while driving as we have for drinking while driving, we'll be hearing more of these horror stories. First offence for texting or talking while driving, lose the privledge of having a mobile device for two years. No different than a felon convicted of a crime with a handgun. If the convicted person has a cell phone after the first offense, prison time. Sorry, but until we come to agreement that this is a serious issue we'll be dealing with more carnage and thinking that the issue has no resolution. My $0.02 worth

Comment

I was rear-ended twice within a year in two different Studes. I've since sold the Lark, but installed magnetic-base towing lights on my Champ on the front lip of the bed. Got them at the South Bend swap meet last year...best five bucks I ever spent!
                        Mike Davis
                        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Yeah, that ID10T in Texas should have his Thumbs removed with a choppin axe. I hate it for whoever owns the truck he was driving. They'll be sued for every penny.
                          I tried texting while driving once, only once.... That was enough. This moron was all over the road for several miles. With people dialing 911 and filming.
                          I wonder what kind of Mass-punishment we'll all have to suffer after this one.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          Yep, it was a young guy texting the other day that killed 13 people in Texas when he hit the bus head on. He lived and all but one on the bus died. Strange that Texas doesn't have a law against texting while driving.

Comment

Poor driving is an epidemic everywhere. Living here in California, I see A really excessive amount. Yesterday I was on the road most of the day, and I watch people run yellow and red lights, make a left and right turns from incorrect lanes, and travel in excess of 50 miles an hour in a school zone. It's insane.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                              I had a lady rearend my Hawk several years ago while she was texting, then tried to sue me stating I had thrown my car into reverse and totaled her car and injured her passenger. Luckily for me there were witnesses. Only damage to my Hawk was the rear bumper and valence got bent a little and the original style oval exhaust tips got smashed. Her car was totaled.
                              Reminds me of the driver that pulled too far forward at a stop light and then backed up too fast and crashed into my friend. My friends large truck was stopped dead still, but the other driver tried to say Marvin ran into her car. Fortunately, some people at a shop nearby saw the whole thing.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X