No announcement yet.

Neg. ground 6v. flow-thru pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Neg. ground 6v. flow-thru pump?

After reading through previous posts re electric fuel pumps, I haven't seen any references to availability of an electric pump application for standby or booster service as applied to the earlier 6v. negative ground systems. I would like to discharge the electric pump through the mechanical pump.
    I'd like to keep the Carter glass bowl pump on my 55 President State sedan and have the electric pump as a backup to avoid hot weather stalling and to aid starting after fuel has evaporated from the WCFB during extended layups.
    The electric pump would run through a relay activated by a dash-mounted toggle switch, probably with an impact activated cutout in the curcuit.
    I thoroughly understand the pitfalls involved (possible fuel leakage into engine lubeoil thru internal mechanical pump leakage) but the fuel leakage concern exists weather the electric pump is present or not.
    After 38 years at sea in various engine rooms I have learned to appreciate redundant systems.
    I have no plans to devolve to a 12v electrical system.
    Jim

Jim,
    I just purchased a 6v pump for my '55 President to use as a back up and primer pump. What I got was from Spectra Premium, model SP1124. I believe it is a 4 psi and came with everything I needed to install it. It works for either positive or negative ground and has a good set of instructions. I believe I paid around $40 or $50 bucks for it. Here is a link to their website, www.spectrapremium.com
    By-the-way, I am building a registry for '55 President Sedans and would love to add yours to it. If interested just PM me and I'll give you more details.
    Ed
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

JimKB1MCV, Did you swap your car over to negative ground? They came wired for positive ground.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-05-2017, 11:31 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Did you swap your car over to negative ground? They cam wired for positive ground.
        No. This can be wired either way.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

NOTE:

Unless you modify the stock mechanical pump, the diaphragm CAN split and leak pressurized fuel into the engine crankcase. Without mechanical pump modifications, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Some will say "I've done this for a million miles and my car is fine"
          Well, that's just fine. I'M...not taking the chance of having contaminated oil, or of the hand grenade will be MY engine.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            JimKB1MCV, Did you swap your car over to negative ground? They came wired for positive ground.
            Roy,I plead the brainfa*t defense, it is positive gnd. I'm positive of that.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a relay. All of my electric pumps draw less than 5 amps, and most toggle switches are rated about 10 to 15 amps.

Comment

I run one on a toggle switch and it is fine.

Comment

Working...
                X