Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a good photo of a C/K with the Avanti Borrani chrome wire wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a good photo of a C/K with the Avanti Borrani chrome wire wheels?

I was trying to describe them to someone, but then realized a photo with them mounted on the car would be even better.

jack vines
    PackardV8

OOoooooo.... I love those Borrani wheels. Especially on the Kellison J6 Panther.
    sals54

Comment

Guess the MOPAR versions aren't close enough, but still looking ! Now, if we can just get someone to mount those proper ones, we'll be doin' good !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by j.byrd; 04-04-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

While the wheel shown here is on an Aston Martin, the wheel itself is rather similar to the one sold for use on Studebaker autos. Most people think of Borrani wheels as having polished aluminum rims, many were chrome plated steel, some painted silver.

For the race wheels, even if they were aluminum rims the wheels were painted. The reason? If a spoke were to break, you likely wouldn't see it as broken with the chrome spokes whereas with painted, the paint will break away from the spoke and hub on the broken spoke(s). I wish I could afford a set for my Avanti, even as a distributor for the motorcycle rims they are out of my league.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

I would look for an 70's Avanti II brochure with them on, as they appear to be common enough and the photographs are clear.

Or maybe the Fall, 1973 Automobile Quarterly has Nate Altman standing behind one?

Craig

Comment

I believe that Bob Bourke used Borrani wire wheels on his modified/custom 1954 Starliner. The car is still on those wheels in the SNM. There are probably plenty of pictures of it in existence. I do not know if these are the same model of wheel as used on Avantis.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X