289 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 block

Finally got my block back from the machine shop today. Hot tanked, Bored and honed to .030 and cam bearings installed. $290. Said one hole almost didn't clean at .030 but it said after he honed it the last couple .001's it was good. Now to just get the time to put it back together. This is my first studebaker motor so should be fun. Jay at the machine shop said it was fun to work on one again. Said his dad was a big Studebaker guy.

That sounds like good News, ANY progress is always Good.

It might be time to watch the Pete's Garage Video Series of a '62 Hawk 289 Engine being rebuilt, especially the "Assembly" one or one's.
    I think most of his "minor" errors were caught here.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
      Finally got my block back from the machine shop today. Hot tanked, Bored and honed to .030 and cam bearings installed. $290. Said one hole almost didn't clean at .030 but it said after he honed it the last couple .001's it was good. Now to just get the time to put it back together. This is my first studebaker motor so should be fun. Jay at the machine shop said it was fun to work on one again. Said his dad was a big Studebaker guy.
      Very reasonable price!

Comment

Do not forget crank end play is set by shims behind front pulley. Make sure the oil hole is in the block half of the main bearing.Voice of experience.
        Hawkowner

Comment

Didn't have a lot of time to mess with it today as I have a 2016 Impala to paint the sides on. Did take a few moments to check the odd side 1-7 which is the one that was worn the most before taking to the machine shop and my end gap on the rings are now at .012-.013. Hope to get some time tomorrow to go over everything good just to be sure but I trust Jays work enough I think I could just put it together.

Comment

don't forget that nasty little oil gallery plug down in the distributor hole....
            It will remind you later if you do..... LOW/NO oil pressure.

Comment

s -

Question, was your block "just" overbored .030"...or was it oversize to fit a particular piston, (possibly in a particular hole) ?
              Also, were the cylinders just honed to finish...or were they honed to work with a particular ring package ?

Details make the difference.

Mike

Comment

Mike It was a complete rebore and honed for cast rings. Crank was good standard and will just get new bearings and motor will get a valve job on the heads. Machine shop hot tanked them and checked for cracks and straightness. All was good.

Comment

Hopefully you removed the oil pressure relief valve before you took it to the machine shop. I know one guy who left his in; after the hot tank, it was all but welded in place.

Comment

I sure did Joe. Every plug and soft plug or frost plug and part was removed. Had time to check rest of block today and all ring gaps checked the same. I was using a go no go feeler gauge that is most times use for setting rocker arms. The .012-,014 gauge the .012 would slide between the ring ends but the .014 would not so they are all .012-.013. Should be able to put the cam plug and rear oil galley plugs in and get it on the engine stand so I can start putting it together.

Comment

Working...
                    X