Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the ground located in 53 Starliner Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Where is the ground located in 53 Starliner Commander?

Lights and fuel gage I have installed a sending unit in the gas tank still does not show on gage level

The 1953 Starliner should be 6 volt positive ground. If I remember correctly the positive terminal is connected to the engine block and there should be a ground strap going from the engine to the frame of the car. The fuel tank needs to be bolted solidly or grounded with a wire to the cars frame to establish a good ground. Also the sending unit needs to be grounded to the fuel tank.
    With the wire that goes to the sending unit disconnected; the fuel gauge should read one way and if you ground the wire the gauge should read the other way. I forget which causes the gauge to read which way. And if some one tells me, I will not remember. The head is full of enough useless information.
    Ron

Comment

On my 54 Champion the ground was originally on the motor mount. With the build up of rust over the years caused grounding issues. I relocated the ground directly on to the starter bolt and every thing came to life again. Also my tail lights were dingy so I attached a ground wire from the bezel assembly to the frame and now they are full bright.

Comment

Like altair, I ran a big "00" cable from the positive battery post to a starter bolt. Big difference. You can get 00 cables made up at a marine or tractor service.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
        X