Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edelbrock 1403 - best power source for the choke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Edelbrock 1403 - best power source for the choke?

Howdy,

Took the plunge and bought the 1403 and I'm planning on installing it this coming weekend. I'm just curious to find out from those of you who have done the conversion where you have tapped for the hot side of the electric choke. Is the ignition switch the best place, or is there another, more preferable source? Oil pressure switch?

Thanks!
    Dean
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

I'd use the ignition switch and ideally through a relay tapped at a heavy wire - though most don't (including me). Make sure you don't wire it into the Acc side. Otherwise you can be listening to the radio on a cold day and have an open choke upon starting. Typically the oil pressure switch simply grounds to the engine block. Thus, it is a connection point to ground and not a 12v + connection point.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The feed wire for the coil is a good place. The only problem with any power source is if the choke is heated and the car doesn't fire right up, the choke will soon be open. This really shouldn't pose a problem though because if any car doesn't fire up within a few seconds, something else needs to be fixed.

Comment

The easier and more common Power connection point Dean, is the unused red wire hanging behind your Throttle Bellcrank for Overdrive.

If you do have Overdrive, I would run a separate wire to the Ignition terminal of the Ignition Switch.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I do have O/D. The instructions that come with the Edelbrock state to not use the coil as the power source, so it looks like I'll go to the IGN terminal on the switch. I'm a novice when it comes to relays, but I'll do some research and see if I can figure out how to incorporate one in the system.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply - I really do appreciate it!
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

Why not connect the choke power wire to the ignition switch side of the ballast resistor. I realize this will not work if you have a resistance wire going to the coil rather then the ballast resistor.
            I did my Avanti that way several years ago and it works fine. No extra wires going to the ignition switch.
            Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron - I'll take a close look into that. Dean
              Dean Seavers
              Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
              X