Oil System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil System

My oil system on my 51 Commander is not passing oil threw the outlet of the oil canister that houses the C-4 filter, does anyone know how the passage holes can be cleaned out ? I checked the oil line and fittings they are clear.

I would unscrew the feed line and blow back with compressed air, then see if oil flows when you start the engine.

Comment

I did try compressed air but did not help, I thought of boiling the canister but not sure if there are any gaskets that would be damaged.
      Does anyone know how they are put together ?

Comment

There is nothing in there but the welded in center shaft and usually a Loose "Filter Stand" a thin steel thee legged stand to prevent bottoming the Filter Element in the Case.

The Inlet Fitting (Outboard) SHOULD have the very small .040-.050 Restrictor built in, and the Outlet (Inboard Fitting) SHOULD be wide open and it apparently is NOT.
        You will need to clean out the inside of the Center tube. A small, long handled wire brush for Engine Oil Passages will help.

Are you SURE this is the OEM "Fram" F4 Filter Canister (Orange or Black), because the Cars did not have Oil Filters as Standard Equipment, so many times they were added aftermarket and not always the "OEM Factory" Fram, there were several others available.

After that many years, I would also replace the lines or hoses just "because".

Have you proved that Oil is available and coming from the Front of the Driver side Cyl. Head?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The oil is coming in from the drivers side cylinder head and the center shaft is clear. How does the oil get to the center shaft with the bolt from the cover blocking the top, are there small holes in the center shaft and would you know how many? That's where the clog must be.
          Thanks

Comment

I had mine off my 52 last week. There was a small hole about 1-1/2" or so down from the top of the center tube. Not sure if there are more or not.
            3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Working...
            X