Painting '54 Grill Surrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting '54 Grill Surrounds

I am still working on a friend's '54 Starliner. Currently working on the grills and Surround trim. He has had them rechromed, but we are aware the the Surround trim is not supposed to be solid chrome. Chrome only aound the edge trim and the inner part painted silver. I don't have an example to work from and I am not sure where the "edge" of the silver paint should be. I have figured that the horizontal surface should be painted but am not sure about the curve upward at the middle of the car. We are trying to do this as original. Can anyone tell me what should be painted, or even better post a picture of one done properly?

This car is almost back together now, just finishing up the last few things

thanks!

Pat

P.S. We had to pull the head to unstick the exhaust valve. With help from Leonard Brewer of the Karel Staple Chapter, we got that done and it runs smooth as silk now.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

These are from a 53 that was recently on Ebay, but it might give you an idea:

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Mark Anderson
      Member SDC and FMCA
      Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
      Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Here's a few more of the same...

Those grill surrounds are part of the Dennis Hommel '53 Starlight restoration, so most likely correct.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Here's a few more of the same...

Those grill surrounds are part of the Dennis Hommel '53 Starlight restoration, so most likely correct.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The area painted appears to be correct in the posted pictures. The color, at least on my monitor, appears to be too dark - almost blue-gray. I use Rustoleum Silver, but that may not be fancy enough for a true restoration.
            John Bridges' book "Studebaker's Finest", has some grille detail pictures on page 103.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The area painted appears to be correct in the posted pictures. The color, at least on my monitor, appears to be too dark - almost blue-gray. I use Rustoleum Silver, but that may not be fancy enough for a true restoration.
              John Bridges' book "Studebaker's Finest", has some grille detail pictures on page 103.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I believe I can mask them correctly now.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I believe I can mask them correctly now.

Pat
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                  X