PDA

View Full Version : Can a body number.....

Lou Van Anne
03-30-2017, 08:25 PM
....be matched up with a serial number? There is a '64 Daytona on Studebaker Attics being scraped....I have been told the body number is 220....is there a way to obtain the serial number for the registry?:confused:

rockne10
03-30-2017, 08:36 PM
I doubt it. I believe the production orders are in hard copy and numerically organized by Serial No. If anyone went to the trouble of listing them all digitally with their corresponding body numbers one might be able to do a cross reference but, ... :ohmy:
Just ask Bob Palma about the efforts expended to do a detailed list of '57 GH, or any of the other models he has sequestered.

BobPalma
03-30-2017, 09:14 PM
....be matched up with a serial number? There is a '64 Daytona on Studebaker Attics being scraped....I have been told the body number is 220....is there a way to obtain the serial number for the registry?:confused:

:o The answer is yes. That's the good news. :)

The bad news is how long it would take. :( Unfortunately, I'd say it might take on the order of three or four hours, minimum, to look through blocks of 1964 V8 Serial Numbers, one car / one PO at a time, until you noticed Daytona hardtops with body numbers in that general vicinity.

Then you would have to look among several hundred POs in either direction, again, one PO at a time, to locate Body Number 220. :cool: BP

qsanford
03-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Is that body number generally close to any you have listed in the roster? That could narrow the search.

Lou Van Anne
03-31-2017, 09:58 AM
No, I don't have any body numbers listed.....
Is that body number generally close to any you have listed in the roster? That could narrow the search.

qsanford
03-31-2017, 10:21 AM
There are quite a few examples in your original '64 Daytona Hardtop roster post. Looks like an early August '63 production. Keep up the good work with the roster!

candbstudebakers
03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
:o The answer is yes. That's the good news. :)

The bad news is how long it would take. :( Unfortunately, I'd say it might take on the order of three or four hours, minimum, to look through blocks of 1964 V8 Serial Numbers, one car / one PO at a time, until you noticed Daytona hardtops with body numbers in that general vicinity.

Then you would have to look among several hundred POs in either direction, again, one PO at a time, to locate Body Number 220. :cool: BP

You would have to check the 6 cyl. cars also but how many 6 cyl. hardtop were there?

BobPalma
03-31-2017, 12:29 PM
You would have to check the 6 cyl. cars also but how many 6 cyl. hardtop were there?

:o Not really, Bob: For reasons I've never understood, they didn't make any 1964 Daytona Six hardtops, either in South Bend or Hamilton. Yes, they built 1964 Daytona Six 4-door sedans, Wagonaires, and convertibles in Hamilton, but no hardtops. Go figure; I can't! :cool: BP

Lou Van Anne
03-31-2017, 01:39 PM
Hey, the seller contacted me and promised to get the serial number!

StudeRich
03-31-2017, 05:28 PM
:o Not really, Bob: For reasons I've never understood, they didn't make any 1964 Daytona Six hardtops, either in South Bend or Hamilton. Yes, they built 1964 Daytona Six 4-door sedans, Wagonaires, and convertibles in Hamilton, but no hardtops. Go figure; I can't! :cool: BP

Really Bob, a Sporty, Race named "Daytona" Hardtop, complete with Crossed Racing Flags with a SIX? :(

I call that smart thinking, by not even going there! :rolleyes: