What determines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What determines?

Assume that a car is run as usual, then parked in a garage covered and just left there.
    How long would it take for the engine to become stuck or seize?

You would need to know the Humidity Number, and Temp. Variation Numbers for the Location in question.

A Stude. V8 has a propensity to seize it's Steel Valves to the Cast Iron Valve Guides, more than the Rings to Cyl. Walls.

It could not hurt to seal the Tailpipes and Carb.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich I usually lay up the car for 6-7 months over the winter stored in a garage on Long Island about 20 miles from NYC, I have never 'fogged" the engine and in the spring with enough cranking to get gas to the carb, she has always started......but I was just curious as to the what if factor/
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      You would need to know the Humidity Number, and Temp. Variation Numbers for the Location in question.

A Stude. V8 has a propensity to seize it's Steel Valves to the Cast Iron Valve Guides, more than the Rings to Cyl. Walls.

It could not hurt to seal the Tailpipes and Carb.

Comment

Humidity, direct exposure to wind and day/night temperature change, salt air, are the greatest contributors to internal rusting. Outside on the southeastern coastal plain, a matter of months. In a garage in the dry intermountain west, probably never.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Sitting under the shelving in my polebarn is the 305 SBC I pulled out of my 83 Avanti. No carb, exhaust manifolds, spark plugs nor distributor. It turns and it's been setting for over six years. It's inside with no heat or a/c to temper the humidity, cold weather and heat in Michigan.

So as Jack said above, depends on any number of variables and the fact that the mice/chipmunks have ignored it.

Comment

Bob I'll know in May if "Houston we have a problem" :-)
            Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Sitting under the shelving in my polebarn is the 305 SBC I pulled out of my 83 Avanti. No carb, exhaust manifolds, spark plugs nor distributor. It turns and it's been setting for over six years. It's inside with no heat or a/c to temper the humidity, cold weather and heat in Michigan.

So as Jack said above, depends on any number of variables and the fact that the mice/chipmunks have ignored it.

Comment

My 55 President Coupe sat in my garage without being touched for over 40 years. When I put it in I ran it at a fast idle & slowly poured oil into the carb until it choked. When I pulled it out a couple of years ago, it started with minimum effort, smoked like a chimney for a couple of minutes, then smoothed out and ran like a charm- no more smoking. I did pull the carb apart before trying to start it, but it was as clean as could be inside, and it wasn't really necessary to do anything to it.

Comment

If I know it will be idle for a year or more, then I do as Clifford just said. When it's parked it should be right after a good drive, and don't run the engine for a few minutes once a month to make sure it's not stuck, or it soon will be. I learned that the hard way in 1978 when I ran my 1963 Lark and my 1929 Chevrolet for 5 minutes and shut them off. Six months later I tried to start each one, and they were both stuck tight. Now I need to remove both engines and take them all apart.

Comment

Here in central Ca. the three Studes I bought a few years ago had all sat parked for 20 + years. Two in the driveway outside and one in the garage. None would roll because the brakes were rusted up but all fired right up with new fuel, some starting fluid and a new battery. The one from the garage did smoke a bit after each start up, stoping when warmed up, but quit doing that after a few warm up/cool down cycles. It's an R1 and scoots like the proverbial scalded dog.

Comment

Originally posted by clifford View Post
                    My 55 President Coupe sat in my garage without being touched for over 40 years. When I put it in I ran it at a fast idle & slowly poured oil into the carb until it choked. When I pulled it out a couple of years ago, it started with minimum effort, smoked like a chimney for a couple of minutes, then smoothed out and ran like a charm- no more smoking. I did pull the carb apart before trying to start it, but it was as clean as could be inside, and it wasn't really necessary to do anything to it.
                    This is what I did with a racing engine from a dirt track car 25 years ago. It was a very expensive engine and only had 2 races on it. I sold it last year under the pretense that it was still good. The new owner took the entire engine down and could find no ill effects from 25 years of storage. As far as I know he only made one or two modern updates and will be racing it again this year.

Comment

Mine sat 27 years in my Houston garage , never started since I parked it in high school. Started after a few cranks and some gas, runs great today.
                      1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                      Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X