PDA

View Full Version : Avanti 374!!

SN-60
03-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Has anyone slipped a Packard V8 into an Avanti? .......................

I've seen photos of a Packard powered Studebaker Lark, and if that big engine fits into a Lark, it should fit into an Avanti? :confused:

I picture a '63-'64 (Ford bolt pattern) T-10 four speed transmission used in this swap. (as opposed to the tried & true T-85 three speed.)

The T-10 would bolt right up to the Packard clutch housing, however, the input shaft would require a machinists touch!

The torque output of a 374 (or bigger) Packard V8 would certainly 'smoke' an Avanti's rear tires!! :woot:

PackardV8
03-28-2017, 05:42 PM
No, I've never seen a Packard V8 in an Avanti.
Yes, it would fit in the engine compartment, no problem.
Yes, I've installed Ford-pattern T10s behind a couple of Packard V8s. An extended pilot bearing is all that's required. The Ford toploader also bolts up. In either case, an Avanti would require a short tailshaft version. Most Ford T10s and toploaders have very long tailshafts which would interfere with the Avanti X-member.
Maybe, with all the weight on the front end, what the Avanti really needs is the Eldorado/Toronado FWD system
Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy.

jack vines

SN-60
03-28-2017, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=PackardV8;
Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy.

jack vines[/QUOTE]

That's what they told the guy that invented the WHEEL Jack! ;) :D

StudeDave57
03-29-2017, 02:17 AM
Maybe, with all the weight on the front end, what the Avanti really needs is the Eldorado/Toronado FWD system. Yes, either idea is absolutely crazy. jack vines
Saw an Avanti down in Southern California with a 'clip' from a K-Car once.
Yup- motor/trans- the works. No joke.

Also seen an M-Series with a Caddie as you describe.

One was much much cooler than the other... :ohmy:

hint--
I am NOT an Avanti guy. ;)
But either way--- seriously...?
:confused: :rolleyes: :whome: :(
:cheers:

spokejr
03-29-2017, 04:32 PM
"No, I've never seen a Packard V8 in an Avanti.
Yes, it would fit in the engine compartment, no problem." Jack Vines

When I was growing up, my dad and a friend's dad took the lot of us sailing. I forget what my friend David was doing but typical teen aged boys, we were doing something pointless. David's dad Bill was watching David and commented, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.". Kinda sums up this idea. Not as bad though as the Toyota Corolla engine and trans grafted into a Mercedes 190SL. My dad used to own a 190 SL, I am quite familiar with how underwhelming the performance is but at least they were well balanced and made for a lovely boulevarder. The result of this barbaric atrocity is forever etched into my brain. They guy even butchered up the original dash to put in the Toyota instruments.

Now, slipping that mill in a 1 ton Transtar with a 9' bed, count me in!

Ken Buchanan

swvalcon
03-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Jacks Idea of a cad front wheel drive would be interesting. Just think a built 500 cad motor with front wheel drive. Smoke the front tires for as far as you want to go or they pop which ever comes first.

SN-60
03-29-2017, 05:27 PM
I once saw a '66 Toronado with 4WD....It had a second complete front drive '66 Olds engine & trans installed where the rear 'dead axle' once resided! :woot:

SN-60
03-29-2017, 06:22 PM
I really can picture a 374" Packard Caribbean engine, running dual quads and the factory chrome 'PACKARD SCRIPT' rocker arm covers, under the hood of an otherwise stock appearing Avanti!! (although the Avanti's hood would probably have to be 'scooped' to clear those carbs!:()

JoeHall
03-29-2017, 10:27 PM
I agree a Packard V8 would be interesting in an Avanti. But would also want to include a tasteful mod to the front grill, so as to get plenty of cooling air to the big motor. Something like this, painted body color would do the job. It would take a trained, keen eye to even notice it. 63118

Xcalibur
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
OMG, and I've spent most of my adult life LIGHTENING the front of Avantis!!! What a "plow"... like front-wheel drive weight distribution without the front-wheel drive! :lol::lol::lol:

drrotor
03-30-2017, 12:39 AM
Umm-- not really. The Packard only weighs about 20 lbs. more. I'd say an Avanti with A/C would weigh about the same as a "374" Avanti without A/C...

BTW-- anyone have a 374 laying around? I'm looking to upgrade my newly acquired '56 Golden Hawk-- it already has the twin-4's...

48skyliner
03-30-2017, 01:29 AM
Some of you will remember Sony Wisner's 55 coupe with the 500 Cadillac, Corvette front and rear suspension, lots of Weber carbs, built about 25 years ago. But he is best known for his old Dodge pickup with the Eldorado engine and trans, pictured doing a burnout with the front wheels - a real attention getter.

I recall a magazine project car, I think Car and Driver, which was a Civic with the normal front engine and an identical engine in the back seat driving the rear wheels.

As for the 190SL, there is one in the Seattle area with a Lexus V8, and the entire engine compartment is crammed with wiring and relays, a real piece of work, done quite a few years ago by an electrical engineer - who else?

If I had an Avanti in need of an engine, I would be searching for the aluminum V6 engine and six speed manual trans from a 350Z or 370Z. That would balance the car and give quite a bit more fuel economy.

StudeDave57
03-30-2017, 01:37 AM
Oh yes-- Vader's Ride... ;)

bezhawk
03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
I always thought a NOVI v8 would be a good Avanti engine. Actually the Stude indy engine would be even better.

64studeavanti
03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Kenny,
I have NOS 374 block with fitted pistons. Unfortunately it is in FL.

GrumpyOne
03-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Kenny,

I remember when those were going for $40 at, (I believe Hurwich Iron), back in 1971...

SN-60
03-30-2017, 06:51 PM
I agree a Packard V8 would be interesting in an Avanti. But would also want to include a tasteful mod to the front grill, so as to get plenty of cooling air to the big motor. Something like this, painted body color would do the job. It would take a trained, keen eye to even notice it. 63118

Oh my God!....Here we go with the 'GRILL THING' again!!!!!!! :D;)

spokejr
03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Oh my God!....Here we go with the 'GRILL THING' again!!!!!!! :D;)

Hell Ed, you're the one who started this mendacious thread! Where else did you think we'd take it?!:lol:

qsanford
03-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Wasn't the Packard name considered for the Avanti at one point?

SN-60
03-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Wasn't the Packard name considered for the Avanti at one point?

I believe that it was..but was ruled out for being 'too stodgy':ohmy:(at that time anyway!)

Jett289
03-30-2017, 10:49 PM
As much as I love Packards I'm so glad the Avanti name was used !!! It was perfect !

drrotor
03-31-2017, 01:16 AM
Kenny,

PM sent to you

Buzzard
03-31-2017, 01:24 AM
Re: post #7, Anyone remember the Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile? I believe they beat you to it.
Bill

Dwight FitzSimons
03-31-2017, 11:28 AM
I read somewhere that, for a time, Studebaker considered calling the Avanti a Pierce-Arrow, rather than a Studebaker. The price of an Avanti was in the Cadillac or Corvette range, so maybe that is why they considered resurrecting the Pierce-Arrow name. Of course, the purpose of the Avanti was to embellish the Studebaker name, so, eventually, sanity won out and they called it a Studebaker.
-Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter-SDC

SN-60
04-01-2017, 09:41 AM
I've heard several times that S-P had 'hundreds' of new Packard V8's, of various cubic inch sizes, in stock at South Bend during the 'pre Lark' time period.

I always felt it was too bad S-P didn't have the $$$$$ to use these leftover Packard V8's in the limited production '58 Packard Hawk. :ohmy:

A Packard engine certainly would have put much more 'PACKARD' (not to mention POWER) into the 1958 'Packard' Hawk! (IMHO) :)

SN-60
04-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Follow up to my last post..............Has anyone ever seen/heard of a 1958 Packard Hawk which someone has INSTALLED a Packard V8 engine into???? :confused:

The Packard-Packard swap MUST have been attempted at least once over the years!! :ohmy:

JoeHall
04-01-2017, 11:58 AM
I've heard several times that S-P had 'hundreds' of new Packard V8's, of various cubic inch sizes, in stock at South Bend during the 'pre Lark' time period.

I always felt it was too bad S-P didn't have the $$$$$ to use these leftover Packard V8's in the limited production '58 Packard Hawk. :ohmy:

A Packard engine certainly would have put much more 'PACKARD' (not to mention POWER) into the 1958 'Packard' Hawk! (IMHO) :)
I saw a mid 60s Lark at the SDC Meet in PA a few years ago. Someone had done it very tastefully, and it did not look out of place at all. I agree, too bad they did not install a Packard V8 in the Packard Hawk. That woulda helped to identify them as true Packards instead of, "re-badged Studebakers".

SN-60
04-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I saw a mid 60s Lark at the SDC Meet in PA a few years ago. Someone had done it very tastefully, and it did not look out of place at all. I agree, too bad they did not install a Packard V8 in the Packard Hawk. That woulda helped to identify them as true Packards instead of, "re-badged Studebakers".

All that would be required would be a Packard Hawk in average shape with a tired Stude engine, and a 56J 'parts car' with a decent (rebuildable) Packard engine and (HOPEFULLY) a T-85 transmission.

(I'm wondering about hood clearance, engine length issues? :confused:

SN-60
04-01-2017, 12:29 PM
And there's a '56J 'stick' parts car candidate on e-bay right now!! :woot: