No announcement yet.

1950 Champion- I need a distributor cap "retainer spring and support"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1950 Champion- I need a distributor cap "retainer spring and support"

I need one of these (see below) which is (I think) is part # 175976. Not listed in SI's catalog. I would guess it was used on all Autolite distributors of the era, but not sure. Also, can anyone confirm that an Autolite IAT 4201 distributor is interchangeable with the OEM Autolite IAT 4001? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I believe the 1AT 4201was used from about 1954-58. The same cap was used from about '51-64. The Standard part number is AL-133. Your local parts store should be able to recognize this number. It was also used on most MOPAR sixes of the era so it should be readily available. The 4201 should fit the '50 Champion with no problems. Someone here must have a retainer clip.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

My main concern about the IAT 4201 is whether the shaft is the same length as the IAT 4001. Can someone confirm that the clip is widely interchangeable? Thanks.
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

GreyBen: Do you mean that the Autolite part # for the clip is AL 133, or is that the Autolite number for the cap?
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

The cap is AL-133. You have the correct # for the clip 175976 according to my 55-58 parts manual. Someone should have one NOS or used. You might need to call vendors.
          American iron, real old school
          With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
          With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
          With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
          The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
          I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

I checked, but can't help.
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I have not had the time to check my parts stash. But, I'm curious about how you have come up missing one? Did it break, were you working on the car? Did you find it missing, and have you been driving it with the cap loose? (I've had that happen a couple of times) The way the clip is curled around the part it is attached to, it is easy to see how it can come loose and fall off at a certain angle.

If you think it could be lost under the car, those clips are spring steel and are really attracted to a magnetic sweeper.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, the clip was missing when I bought the part. I want to use the distributor in an engine I'm rebuilding, but I don't have ready access to the engine right now.
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Thanks for looking, Dan. You came through on some other obscure parts. I appreciate your help.
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

Dist. Cap Clip

It sounds like the easy way is just steal a Clip off of your Car just before installing the new Engine and Distributor.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                      John, the clip was missing when I bought the part. I want to use the distributor in an engine I'm rebuilding, but I don't have ready access to the engine right now.
                      Thanks for taking the time to clarify, Lothar. That 'splains it. On at least two embarrassing occasions, I have gotten distracted, perhaps too eager to "get going," and failed to secure those spring clips in place. Cleaning tiny brass shavings from a distributor because the rotor and loose distributor cap tips actually made contact is not a fun experience. Hope someone comes through with a usable replacement. Amazing what tiny little things can stall a big project.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bumpity-bump. Can anyone spare a distributor cap retaining clip? If not, and I need to go to a salvage yard, can anyone give me some idea of what non-Studebaker cars to look for that would have similar Autolite distributors?
                        John
                        1950 Champion
                        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                        Holdrege NE

Comment

I am pretty sure I have them on the distributor we pulled out of Dads 50 Champion. I will look tonight.
                          Wayne
                          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Found it. Send me your address and I will mail it tomorrow.
                            Wayne
                            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X