PDA

View Full Version : Again, I've lived too long....oil filters!

BobPalma
03-28-2017, 12:10 AM
:eek: How many Chevrolet V8s, 265s through 409s, do you suppose they made from 1958 through 1967; ten model years, plus the two years they supplied Studebaker with V8s in 1965 and 1966? They all used the same drop-in oil filter cartridge serviced from under the car; Fram CH200PL or equivalent. (1955 V8s had a canister filter up top and 1956-1957 V8s used a different number from below, although the design is the same.)

So Bill Pressler's "new" Timberline Turquoise 1966 Cruiser is resting comfortably in my storage building awaiting its trip to Kent OH, now scheduled for Monday, April 17. Photographed in the best United Press International Wagonaire elevation tradition: (There is a clean, freshly-laundered orange drop cloth on half the front seat lest I soil the gorgeous upholstery and Bill refuses the car! :whome::ohmy:)

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF79231_zpstciyrbia.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF79231_zpstciyrbia.jpg.html)

Income taxes being done, I told Bill I had time to service it (lube-oil-filter) and generally check it over if he wanted me to, before we put it back on the trailer for the trip east. He jumped at the chance, so I'll be doing that presently.

'Thought I'd stop at Auto Zone this evening and pick up a fresh oil filter for it. WRONG! Not only do they no longer stock that filter, they would have had to special order it to arrive the next day, and it was priced at $11.99 for the STP Oil Filter equivalent number! Yes, $11.99 for one of those flimsy things that can't cost half as much to manufacture as today's "modern" steel-can spin-on filters that sell for $3.99 in generic brands like STP! :mad: Ridiculous. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow, or may check O'Reilly's. :)

'Time was, that was one of the most common numbers, if not the most common number, oil filter stocked by everyone...as I said, how many million Chevrolet V8s used that filter in the ten model years from 1958 through 1967...and, now, it's a special-order part with a day's wait? :QQ:Unbelievable. (The car came to me/Bill with two NOS generic oil filters in the trunk, but they were manufactured so long ago and the boxes are so dry and brittle that I told Bill I wouldn't use them for fear the filter media would disintegrate as soon as it was placed in service. He concurred.)

If I hadn't experienced this, I would not have believed the un-availability or obscene price...but then again, Auto Zone had to special-order the ordinary, basic Cloyes timing chain and sprocket set for that 1971 318 Barracuda several years ago...and how many million MoPar small-blocks used that very timing set through the years? :confused: :o

Again, some of us may have lived too long...;) :cool: BP

Milaca
03-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Did the counterperson have a perplexed look on their face when you said you needed an oil filter for a "Studebaker"?

StudeRich
03-28-2017, 12:57 AM
I am sure Bob would say it is for a '67 Impala. :rolleyes: That way you avoid the Deer in the headlights look! :D

BobPalma
03-28-2017, 06:50 AM
I am sure Bob would say it is for a '67 Impala. :rolleyes: That way you avoid the Deer in the headlights look! :D

:yeahright: That's right, Rich; I avoided the "S" word! ;) :cool: BP

Bill Pressler
03-28-2017, 07:38 AM
:yeahright: That's right, Rich; I avoided the "S" word! ;) :cool: BP

LOL!!!!!!!!!

joncon
03-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Bob There is two new oil filters for the 66 in the trunk. The one installed when I sold it is the same kind of filter. I've used these filters in 3 different 283's with no problem. The oil and the filter in the engine have less than 200 miles on them.

BobPalma
03-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Bob: There are two new oil filters for the 66 in the trunk. The one installed when I sold it is the same kind of filter. I've used these filters in 3 different 283's with no problem. The oil and the filter in the engine have less than 200 miles on them.

Thanks, John.

I told Bill the oil looked very clean, but he said he'd like me to change it anyway so he knows exactly when it was done as to time and miles, and to give me an incentive to roll around underneath the car and look it over.

'Nice to have it; I know Bill's preferences for rolling stock and I know he'll enjoy owning it...in fact, he already is enjoying owning it and he hasn't even seen it yet! :) Thanks again. :cool: BP

8E45E
03-28-2017, 09:09 AM
:'Time was, that was one of the most common numbers, if not the most common number, oil filter stocked by everyone...as I said, how many million Chevrolet V8s used that filter in the ten model years from 1958 through 1967...and, now, it's a special-order part with a day's wait? :QQ:Unbelievable. (The car came to me/Bill with two NOS generic oil filters in the trunk, but they were manufactured so long ago and the boxes are so dry and brittle that I told Bill I wouldn't use them for fear the filter media would disintegrate as soon as it was placed in service. He concurred.)

I can't figure it out, either, Bob.

When one attends car shows, one can only conclude there MUST be at least a million of them licenced and still on the road!!

Craig

sweetolbob
03-28-2017, 10:01 AM
Rock Auto lists a plethora of them for under $4 so it's a volume/convenience issue with the local folks. Bob

52-fan
03-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Just for curiosity, I logged in to the local O'Reilly where my brother works. They have a Wix version of that filter in stock for a bit over $7.00.
Like you said, it is a common filter, but no store keeps stock on hand like they used to. If a part sits on the shelf for more than a few weeks it has to go back to the warehouse.

Mark57
03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Nice lookin' Cruiser! Good pick Bill. :!:

Buzzard
03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Bob,
That is exactly why I stock boxes of Chev & B.O.P.(also fits Studebaker) oil filters in my shop. Although I don't live in town, I still do not have to deal with the "deer in the headlamps" scenario. Note that out of B.O.P.(and of course Studebaker), Buick is the only survivor and not that filter number.
We have all become dinosaurs.
Bill

wittsend
03-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Again, some of us may have lived too long...;) :cool: BP

The truth is that you haven't lived too long, but you have outlived these cars/engines. As a CASO I was a monthly attendee of the 50% off sales at Pick Your Part. The past year or so the Chrysler car section (for example) has been void of any Mopar LA engine (273/318/340/360). Everything is V6, FWD powered. So, yes they made MILLIONS of the V8's, but most are not still on the road thus the 'not in stock' timing set. BTW, the filter for the Barracuda should be easier to find. Ford and Mopar used the same PH8A or the shorter PH43.

Regarding the 65 Studebaker filter. There is an adapter available to convert to a standard spin on filter. Back in 2010 I actually found one on a 67 Impala at PYP, $3 out the door. Otherwise I believe they are in the $20-$25 range. Probably pays for itself after a few changes. And for the simplicity It might be considered paid in the first use!

BobPalma
03-28-2017, 01:52 PM
Just for curiosity, I logged in to the local O'Reilly where my brother works. They have a Wix version of that filter in stock for a bit over $7.00.
Like you said, it is a common filter, but no store keeps stock on hand like they used to. If a part sits on the shelf for more than a few weeks it has to go back to the warehouse.

:) Right, Howard; thanks.

I checked our local O'Reilly's and they do stock it in the WIX line; the guy had one there on the shelf. $8.55 with tax.

I got a NAPA premium GOLD at our local NAPA store, also in stock, for $7.46. :cool: BP

Colgate Studebaker
03-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Too bad Jeff has retired from Fram, bet he'd been able to get you all you wanted for a real good price. LOL Bill.

Dave Bates
03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
The guy at my local NAPA told me that Wix makes the NAPA gold filters.

StudeRich
03-28-2017, 03:26 PM
Not that it matters, but I think it was Champion Laboratories, maker of their own "Champ Filters" Brand plus MANY other quality Filters, but not Fram. That is a Federal Mogul Co. THIS WEEK, who knows next week. :rolleyes:

2moredoors
03-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Regarding the 65 Studebaker filter. There is an adapter available to convert to a standard spin on filter. Back in 2010 I actually found one on a 67 Impala at PYP, $3 out the door. Otherwise I believe they are in the $20-$25 range. Probably pays for itself after a few changes. And for the simplicity It might be considered paid in the first use!

I bought the adapter for my '66 and now have no problem finding an affordable and available filter.

BobWaitz
03-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I put that adapter on my '66 Impala back in 1982. I always liked that body style.

57pack
03-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Years ago I worked for a company called American Parts, later known as Big A.
We used to stock aisles of VW parts, from points and condensers to fenders and running boards. All of those parts sold very well through the years until one day ( so it seemed) it all stopped.
The demand simply dried up, guess all of those Beetles, Type 2s, squarebacks, etc. fell victim to rust mites.

BobPalma
03-28-2017, 07:55 PM
The guy at my local NAPA told me that Wix makes the NAPA gold filters.

;) I think you're right, Dave. This NAPA GOLD filter looks exactly like the WIX filter the guy at O'Reilly's showed me; identical in every way. :cool: BP

DEEPNHOCK
03-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Just for the record (and records do change)

Wix manufactures NAPA's filters. Wix was recently sold to Mann & Hummel (A German filter manufacturer).
Baldwin, and Hastings, and Purolator filters (all former Clarcor companies) were just purchased by Donaldson filters.

United Components (Champion Labs, Airtex, ASC water pumps)....and FRAM all are currently owned by Rank Industries in Lake Forest, IL.

Champion Laboratories manufactures filters for their own lines (Luber-finer, Champ, Petro Clear), and they manufacture private label for dozens of other suppliers.
Suppliers like AC/Delco, K&N, John Deere, VW, and are the OE supplier to many auto manufacturers.

Fram filters, while still owned by the Rank group has been separated from Champion Laboratories.
They still share some filter numbers and private label each others brands.
The Fram Group used to own Prestone, but sold it.
The Fram group still owns Motorcraft.

Clear as mud.

StudeNewby
03-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Just for the record (and records do change)

Wix manufactures NAPA's filters. Wix was recently sold to Mann & Hummel (A German filter manufacturer).
Baldwin, and Hastings, and Purolator filters (all former Clarcor companies) were just purchased by Donaldson filters.

United Components (Champion Labs, Airtex, ASC water pumps)....and FRAM all are currently owned by Rank Industries in Lake Forest, IL.

Champion Laboratories manufactures filters for their own lines (Luber-finer, Champ, Petro Clear), and they manufacture private label for dozens of other suppliers.
Suppliers like AC/Delco, K&N, John Deere, VW, and are the OE supplier to many auto manufacturers.

Fram filters, while still owned by the Rank group has been separated from Champion Laboratories.
They still share some filter numbers and private label each others brands.
The Fram Group used to own Prestone, but sold it.
The Fram group still owns Motorcraft.

Clear as mud.

I like to use STP filters... just because. Soooo who makes them these days?

GWCagle
03-28-2017, 10:51 PM
I would like to add a little trivia since we are talking about oil filters.
Avanti means "forward" in Italian.
Fram means "forward" in Norwegian.

I learned the meaning of Fram on the Discovery channel watching a show about a Norwegian ship named "Fram" that explored the artic regions in the late 1800's.

Mohr HP
03-28-2017, 11:03 PM
The fact is, you are talking about parts for cars over 50 years old, and if you look around on the road, that's not what the general public drives these days. They made 15 million model T's, but I don't expect to find any parts for them locally.....

StudeRich
03-29-2017, 02:48 AM

All of the STP Air Filter Boxes I just bought say: "Champion Laboratories".

So BOTH Champ and STP, are "Studebaker"! :cool: S O R T O F..

DEEPNHOCK
03-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Depends. STP was sold again a few years ago, and some of their filters now come from China.
Champion Laboratories still makes some of them.
Same goes for K&N. I will say that the spec that K&N set was superior to the standard run of the mill filter.

Of interest is that STP (post Studebaker) purchased Champion Laboratories to add the filter line to their product line.
Then it was sold off in one of the later STP transitions.

Buzzard
03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Jeff mentioned the companies owned now by Donaldson. Baldwin, and Hastings, and Purolator filters (all former Clarcor companies) were just purchased by Donaldson filters.
I have used Donaldson for years in my industrial and military gas & diesels, gen sets etc and they are of very high quality.
Bob, If you check the Napa Gold and Wix numbers they are identical, with I believe, a "one" for a prefix.
Cheers, Bill

JRoberts
03-29-2017, 12:31 PM
I got an adapter a long time ago for my '65 Cruiser. Before that I got the old style at NAPA but when different folks started working there I got tired of having to explain what I needed as far as oil filters went. The adapter has just made things a lot easier.

BobPalma
03-29-2017, 01:56 PM
J
Bob, If you check the Napa Gold and Wix numbers they are identical, with I believe, a "one" for a prefix.
Cheers, Bill

:) Say, Bill; that's right, but the WIX prefix is 5 in this case. The NAPA number is 1143 and the WIX number is 51143. :!: :cool: BP

wittsend
03-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Jeff mentioned the companies owned now by Donaldson. Baldwin, and Hastings, and Purolator filters (all former Clarcor companies) were just purchased by Donaldson filters.
I have used Donaldson for years in my industrial and military gas & diesels, gen sets etc and they are of very high quality.
Cheers, Bill

My brother use to work in the test room for Purolator. They would pull a filter off the line and test it for burst pressure, contaminant entrapment etc. They made filters for various heavy equipment manufactures, I believe Caterpillar being one of them. He said the expectations of the manufacturers were difficult to meet. And he didn't mean that as a knock on Purolator but rather the stringent expectation of the heavy equipment manufacturer. Thus, Purolator being acceptable for a machine costing many hundreds of thousand of dollars, you would like to think they made decent everyday auto filters too. They moved the facility south (but not "of the border") and my brother lost his job. While he wasn't happy with the company itself, he still said it was a good product.

That was 25 years ago and who knows how anything is made today.

Jeffry Cassel
03-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Bob Fram = $2.81 Hastings = $3.80 Wix = $4.01 at Rock Auto But then there is postage and you gotta wait a week.

Scott
03-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Hey, Bob, have you checked prices on choke pulloffs recently? It took me a couple of weeks to get one for my 66 Cruiser (Rochester 2GV) and the price was...well..BAD.

BobPalma
03-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Hey, Bob, have you checked prices on choke pulloffs recently? It took me a couple of weeks to get one for my 66 Cruiser (Rochester 2GV) and the price was...well..BAD.

:eek: No, I haven't, but I am going to check the one on Bill's Cruiser in the course of looking it over. I hope it's good if that is the situation! :o :cool: BP

Bordeaux Daytona
03-29-2017, 09:48 PM
I put a Trans-Dapt brand adapter on our '65 Wagonaire around 1985. We had two of the cartridge filters left and a high school friend had a '65 Malibu SS with a 283 so I gave them to him.

Xcalibur
03-29-2017, 11:16 PM
I find my time is usually worth more than driving all over town to check all the different parts stores (and still not finding the part, quite often) than the higher ordering cost justifies. Just sayin'...

kurtruk
03-30-2017, 01:19 AM
Bob (and the rest of you) just go to OReillys website and type in part #121G

Should solve your filter problem and the living too long problem...:)

wittsend
03-30-2017, 01:20 AM
Don't throw out those old GM filter canisters. They are going for $20+ on Ebay. And most of those are pretty groady. Clean it up and you might get $30+ for them. I saved the one off my McKinnon. Some day I'll come across a C2 Corvette purist who will offer a King's Ransom ... (slap face to wake self from dream).