PDA

View Full Version : PowerHawk on eBay... What y'awl think?

GrumpyOne
03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Studebaker-Power-Hawk-/132132807093

The most glaring thing, (to me), was the rear of the trunk lid which definitely is not '56.

I'm trying to get a feel since I plan on putting mine up for sale as soon as I get a few more things squared away. My car is pure black, numbers matching that might fall more into the "survivor" category as it has never been restored but rather "refurbished a couple of times.

Anyway the car on eBay is nice but I don't think that it's worth the asking price...

64V-K7
03-27-2017, 06:01 PM
He's going to get a surprise with that battery if not careful...

BobPalma
03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
:o Does it have an exhaust system? :confused: As close-up as all those rear views are, there's no trace of either one or two tail pipes. With a 4-bbl carb, there ought to be two of them! ;) :cool: BP

PackardV8
03-27-2017, 06:51 PM
I know the typical east-of-the-Mississippi rust bucket could not be put into that condition for $20K. Whether anyone wants a good-but-not-perfect Power Hawk for that money is unknowable until the auction ends.

Problem for the better condition Power/Silver/Flight Hawks is a few thou more will buy a very good Golden Hawk.

jack vines

StudeRich
03-27-2017, 07:26 PM
It has been up before for quite a while, a VERY nice looking Hawk, but the asking must be above the Market as it is not going anywhere at that price. :(

sals54
03-27-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure how anyone looking for this style Hawk has not already jumped all over this car. As stated above, you certainly could not build a car to this condition for that money unless you were donating your time and just happened to be proficient at the necessary trades. Which would be considerable. My guess... all your spare time for almost a year. And that's if you were dedicated to it.

PackardV8
03-27-2017, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure how anyone looking for this style Hawk has not already jumped all over this car.

It's interesting the Power Hawk was the biggest seller of all the '56 Hawks. It has a good balance of V8 performance, the solid coupe body and was a good price point.

However, when it became a hobby car, market value is seldom about practicality; it's 99% the bling, the perceived top-of-the-line prestige and the buzz at shows.

That it costs essentially the same to restore a Flight Hawk as a Golden Hawk, but the sick six is worth maybe half as much at auction is just a reality of the hobby and the marketplace.

jack vines

studegary
03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
It was one of about the last six hundred 1956 Commander series assembled in LA/Vernon.

52hawk
03-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Paint job looks terrible,looks like a 20 footer.

StudeRich
03-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Paint job looks terrible,looks like a 20 footer.

You must have a better eye than I and most of us, or a way to enlarge the pics more than one Click without distortion.

Normally, you can easily see poor Bodywork, but Paint is either there and shiny or not in a Photo.
It would have to be a lot worse than this one to see any actual paint flaws with all of the reflections etc. unless you were there.

It is a good thing that he does tell us that the Metal Work was not Block sanded out flat enough to be perfect, but I don't SEE it.
"Orange Peal" is no big deal, that was how the Factory Enamel was.

63t-cab
03-28-2017, 05:31 PM
I think I see what Robert is seeing,and it's more than orange peel/texture. looks more like contamination issues,maybe even problems in body filler if any was used "likely yes". this is just a guess based on what pics appear to show any ways.

You must have a better eye than I and most of us, or a way to enlarge the pics more than one Click without distortion.

Normally, you can easily see poor Bodywork, but Paint is either there and shiny or not in a Photo.
It would have to be a lot worse than this one to see any actual paint flaws with all of the reflections etc. unless you were there.

It is a good thing that he does tell us that the Metal Work was not Block sanded out flat enough to be perfect, but I don't SEE it.
"Orange Peal" is no big deal, that was how the Factory Enamel was.

acolds
03-28-2017, 07:01 PM
The pictures of the underside looking from gas tank there is newer looking muffler on left side and one on right looks older the under side view of frame look nice. As I remember single exhaust were on right side

Hulleywoodworking
03-28-2017, 08:55 PM
My money is on everything from the body side chrome down is bondo. Bondo that was not blocked out enough before paint. He is trying to hide it by saying that the steel needs to be block sanded, but I'm not buying it. Why would the sheet metal need to be blocked? If there was no rust, why aren't the panels already smooth? I can understand a little waviness in sheet metal panels, but this goes beyond that. I've seen enough bad body work in my life to be pretty confident that this car is a bondo buggy.

I would love to be able to see it close up and tap on the lower body. I wonder if any of our members are close enough to check it out and report back on it?

just my $.02 for what its worth.

TWChamp
03-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Refrigerator magnets are great for checking for Bondo.

Bud
03-29-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm thinking that the car was in an accident as the front of the hood doesn't line up with the air scoops on either side and the trunk lid is not original. Bud

52hawk
03-29-2017, 10:09 AM
I think I see what Robert is seeing,and it's more than orange peel/texture. looks more like contamination issues,maybe even problems in body filler if any was used "likely yes". this is just a guess based on what pics appear to show any ways.
Yes,t-cab,I see more than orange peel,after 40 years in the autobody business,there's no way to compute how many hours I've spent with a spray gun in my hand.I do't need to blow those pics up very much to recognize a terrible paint job.

Dwight FitzSimons
03-29-2017, 12:13 PM
There is likely a better one on Craig's List in North Carolina for the same price: https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/6006450473.html
It is described as: "1956 Studebaker Power Hawk. 25,500 original miles, number one car-perfect condition. Snow cap white with turquoise interior."
-Dwight FitzSimons

63t-cab
03-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Ditto, some Folks simply don't have the experience in a given area They talk of.

Yes,t-cab,I see more than orange peel,after 40 years in the autobody business,there's no way to compute how many hours I've spent with a spray gun in my hand.I do't need to blow those pics up very much to recognize a terrible paint job.

Xcalibur
03-29-2017, 10:58 PM
Were I in the market for another Hawk--of any kind--it would be a Power Hawk due to some of the missing things that others call "bling" and/or considered desirable. As for cost and potential auction value, these are non issues, at for some of us. It is all in the simplicity of the design (least bastardized of the C-style Hawks), no flakey fin-ettes, no hard-top paraphernalia to mess with, ancient superchargers, etc. But, I learned long ago NOT to buy any vehicle without actually seeing it first hand... period

JoeHall
03-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Both of those Power Hawks are beautiful, but I definitely prefer the white one. Neither have PS though, which would be a deal breaker for me, were I in the market.

GrumpyOne
03-30-2017, 10:56 AM
There is likely a better one on Craig's List in North Carolina for the same price: https://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/6006450473.html
It is described as: "1956 Studebaker Power Hawk. 25,500 original miles, number one car-perfect condition. Snow cap white with turquoise interior."
-Dwight FitzSimons

If my Power Hawk were an automatic, I would be keeping it.

My only quip is, the steering wheel on this car is not the original factory equipped version which only had a horn button like on mine.

Also, my interior is/was pleated vinyl but now has custom seat covers that were installed in the mid 1970's. The original material is lies underneath.

But the Craig's car is a very nice indeed…

GrumpyOne
03-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for a great discussion guys... Meanwhile, I'm trudging on with my car which I hopefully will ready for travel by late April!

South Bend or bust!

swvalcon
03-30-2017, 11:27 AM
He said body panels have waves. Car has been owned by at least two elderly people and always garaged. which means slowly declining eye sight and sides of garage doors. See where I'am headed with this? My best guess is the car is rust free with bondo to fix all the side damage from mishaps with garage walls and anything else that got to close. Still a nice hawk if the price could be brought down some. Would be a driver as is or spend some money and repaint the sides below the mldgs.

colt45sa
04-01-2017, 09:04 PM
My money is on everything from the body side chrome down is bondo. Bondo that was not blocked out enough before paint. He is trying to hide it by saying that the steel needs to be block sanded, but I'm not buying it. Why would the sheet metal need to be blocked? If there was no rust, why aren't the panels already smooth? I can understand a little waviness in sheet metal panels, but this goes beyond that. I've seen enough bad body work in my life to be pretty confident that this car is a bondo buggy.

I would love to be able to see it close up and tap on the lower body. I wonder if any of our members are close enough to check it out and report back on it?

just my $.02 for what its worth.

Actually there is an instrument/tool you can buy that will give you a digital read-out of the thickness of the material on the metal~!

colt45sa
04-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Were I in the market for another Hawk--of any kind--it would be a Power Hawk due to some of the missing things that others call "bling" and/or considered desirable. As for cost and potential auction value, these are non issues, at for some of us. It is all in the simplicity of the design (least bastardized of the C-style Hawks), no flakey fin-ettes, no hard-top paraphernalia to mess with, ancient superchargers, etc. But, I learned long ago NOT to buy any vehicle without actually seeing it first hand... period
Yours is the best comment on this post. Let's start with the price. Where in the hell are these people coming up with these numbers? O.K., so a '55 Commander went through Mecam in Indianapolis and brought a wagon load of money. So what? That car was STAND UP and the bidders were right there to 'eye-ball' it~! I wouldn't want to be the buyer when it comes time for him to find a 'back door'. Now I love Studebakers BUT, it ain't no '57 Chevy when it comes down to counting out $100 bills. So what if the seller spent a ton of money on it. That's his problem isn't it? Give him an extra 'atta boy'. And who did the work, Joe daBondo? What kind of paint is on it? Sherwin Williams hi-gloss outdoor house paint? If he didn't take time to block the panels straight before paint and didn't sand and buff the finish coat, where else did they 'cut corners'? I think that the big consignment shops are distorting prices by adding the $5000 for their pockets on top of the asking prices. And the one in N.C. with 25,500 miles? Fat chance~! Power Hawk buyers didn't buy the car new and stash it away for 61 years knowing that the price was going up ten-fold~! Gimme a break. Got documentation on that mileage? Other than the Sky Hawk, the Power Hawk is the least desirable of the '56 Hawks.
We need a network of guys 'in the know' who live within a reasonable driving distance to eye-ball these cars so that our fellow enthusiasts don't get burned. If anyone is looking for a '56 Power Hawk, there is a 'restored' (what the hell does that mean/) one one mile from me that you can probably get for $11,000. I've already looked at it. Looks good from 7 feet AND the paint was sanded and buffed (no orange peel)~!

StudeRich
04-02-2017, 02:18 AM
/Cut/Other than the Sky Hawk, the Power Hawk is the least desirable of the '56 Hawks./Cut/

Calm down there buddy, you got too excited, I think you mean't "Flight Hawk" (as in Six Cylinder).
A Sky Hawk in many or Most of our eyes, is THE MOST Desirable '56 Hawk, certainly the rarest! :ohmy:

colt45sa
04-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Calm down there buddy, you got too excited, I think you mean't "Flight Hawk" (as in Six Cylinder).
A Sky Hawk in many or Most of our eyes, is THE MOST Desirable '56 Hawk, certainly the rarest! :ohmy:
I stand corrected on model designation! Do you agree with me on the other comments regarding prices and restoration quality~?
I too am a second generation Stude driver. Learned to drive in Mom's 54 Champion coupe, took the Driver's License exam in Mom's '55 Conestoga, drove many, many miles in Dad's '56 Power Hawk, and got a new '64 2-dr lark as a graduation present. The Lark was traded two years later for a '63 R2 4-spd Avanti. Owned the Avanti for 16 years. Recently and stupidly sold my '55 President State Coupe, a survivor with 66,000 documented original miles.

SN-60
04-02-2017, 01:27 PM
I like 'fin-less' Hawks best! :!:

T.J. lavallee
04-02-2017, 03:03 PM
I like 'fin-less' Hawks best! :!:

I agree wholeheartedly. One can add lipstick and earrings to the Mona Lisa to try and modernize it but the original is always the best.

GrumpyOne
04-02-2017, 03:37 PM
My Power Hawk was purchased from the second owner in January of 1966 for $300 with 33K on it. I knew the first owner as well since he was my plumber who both lived in RI, my native state. However, I was stationed in DC at the time and following separation a couple months later stayed in the area working for a NASA contractor at Goddard. It was my first Studebaker and I quickly became attached to it finding occasional notes on the windshield by folks who were interested in buying it.

I made nearly a dozen trips back and forth from the DC area to RI and averaged 25-26 mpg. I parked the car in January '67 when I took a job overseas for eighteen months. My neighbor, (the guy that sold it to me), came over a couple of times a month to start and run it for fifteen minutes or so. When I returned in July of '68, it was good to go.

The car has been driven to South Bend several times and other meets in the eastern U.S. never having any issues. The simplicity of design and reliability has been outstanding. It's been a wonderful fifty years of ownership but now I prefer automatic transmissions etc. A mildly customized '55 Prez State sedan will replace it and serve as an occasional driver as well since it will have most of the bells and whistles...

colt45sa
04-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm surprised that with all this back and forth about value and the pointing out of two available Power Hawks at $19,500+ dollars, there was no curiosity about the one that is available in my neighborhood considerably less money.

JoeHall
04-04-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm surprised that with all this back and forth about value and the pointing out of two available Power Hawks at $19,500+ dollars, there was no curiosity about the one that is available in my neighborhood considerably less money.
Well tell us more about it please :)

colt45sa
03-29-2018, 07:05 PM
My Power Hawk was purchased from the second owner in January of 1966 for $300 with 33K on it. I knew the first owner as well since he was my plumber who both lived in RI, my native state. However, I was stationed in DC at the time and following separation a couple months later stayed in the area working for a NASA contractor at Goddard. It was my first Studebaker and I quickly became attached to it finding occasional notes on the windshield by folks who were interested in buying it.

I made nearly a dozen trips back and forth from the DC area to RI and averaged 25-26 mpg. I parked the car in January '67 when I took a job overseas for eighteen months. My neighbor, (the guy that sold it to me), came over a couple of times a month to start and run it for fifteen minutes or so. When I returned in July of '68, it was good to go.

The car has been driven to South Bend several times and other meets in the eastern U.S. never having any issues. The simplicity of design and reliability has been outstanding. It's been a wonderful fifty years of ownership but now I prefer automatic transmissions etc. A mildly customized '55 Prez State sedan will replace it and serve as an occasional driver as well since it will have most of the bells and whistles...

People won't believer me when i tell them that my Dad drove his Power Hawk every day as a salesman traveling all over NJ, Pa, Del, and Ohio. He recorded every penny he spent on the car and got excellent gas mileage. He drove that car for 170,000 miles and never spent a nickle on the motor. He changed the oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles using 20wt oil year round. When he traded it the valve seals had started to go and he was using a quart of oil every 1800 to 2000 miles. I drove it quite a few miles as well and still have dreams about his giving it to me, which sadly never happened~!
P

TWChamp
03-29-2018, 09:51 PM

That's a very nice looking car. What's the price and condition?

colt45sa
03-30-2018, 11:32 AM
That's a very nice looking car. What's the price and condition?
It's long gone now. I think Jim said she got $9000 for it. It was definitely a 5 footer but as you looked at it carefully you would have found too many other issues. That's why I didn't buy it. How rare is it to find something like this less that 2 miles from your house?

GrumpyOne
03-30-2018, 05:29 PM
..."Orange Peal" is no big deal, that was how the Factory Enamel was.

When I bought my Power Hawk in 1966, (I was the third owner), orange peel was still evident and typical of cars of that era. Now it's best to buff 'em out..