Air cond compressor for 78 Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cond compressor for 78 Avanti II

Does anyone know what I can use to replace the compressor in my 78? I was wondering if a 78 Chevy compressor would work or if there is some other cross referenced part.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Yes, although Avanti Motors usually bought such parts in advance in bulk, so it's possible that the compressor was actually a 77 model. That said, there were only a couple of different a/c compressors used on Chevy vehicles during that period. If you take the old one into a good auto parts store or a GM dealer, they can probably match it.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by davette59 View Post
      Does anyone know what I can use to replace the compressor in my 78? I was wondering if a 78 Chevy compressor would work or if there is some other cross referenced part.
      There were only so many compressors used by GM, I would either compare yours by photo to 1975-1978 Chevrolet A/C compressors. Or, go to a local A/C shop and they will find a replacement, it only needs to bolt up to the brackets and the hose connections be in approximately the same place. Try cleaning off the compressor and finding the ID label from Delco on it, run a google on that and you will probably find a replacement. Good luck.

Comment

You probably have one of two GM compressors...the A-6 axial or R-4 radial type. The A-6 is long and very heavy...the R-4 is circular and lightweight. The use of the R-4 started about the '78 model year so your '78 may still have an A-6 depending on build date.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have an A-6 from an Avanti. It came from an 81. Let me know if you want it.
          james r pepper

Comment

Working...
          X