Conducting Polls - For Moderator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conducting Polls - For Moderator

I have a question Bob. I've been on other forums where users can conduct polls. In fact, it came as part of the forum program on my own website. I think it's a great addition to the forums and can be a great way to have fun. What's the chances of getting that capability here? Thanks in advance.

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Well, I do have a poll capability set up on the SDC site but haven't used it for a while. To access it from within the forum takes an extra click, which isn't the most convenient. Anyway, I just created a new poll so check it out at:

There is a forum "mod" that would allow me to put polls right within the forum (as Sonny has mentioned) and I will have that added when I have them add "spell check", greater registration "spam" security, and a "mod" that provides more detailed forum usage stats. Just need to find time to get it on the front burner.

I'll move this poll up to a separate stickey after while.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Well, I do have a poll capability set up on the SDC site but haven't used it for a while. To access it from within the forum takes an extra click, which isn't the most convenient. Anyway, I just created a new poll so check it out at:

There is a forum "mod" that would allow me to put polls right within the forum (as Sonny has mentioned) and I will have that added when I have them add "spell check", greater registration "spam" security, and a "mod" that provides more detailed forum usage stats. Just need to find time to get it on the front burner.

I'll move this poll up to a separate stickey after while.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Bob,
        The only problem with the current poll question is that results will be greatly skewed, since those who visit less will not be exposed to the question.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Bob,
          The only problem with the current poll question is that results will be greatly skewed, since those who visit less will not be exposed to the question.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Over time it would equalize (unless some people figured a way to vote multiple times to skew the poll results on purpose). Besides this merely was to demonstrate the current limited capability to do a poll, not necessarily the quality of the poll.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Over time it would equalize (unless some people figured a way to vote multiple times to skew the poll results on purpose). Besides this merely was to demonstrate the current limited capability to do a poll, not necessarily the quality of the poll.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Folks are probably unlikely to vote more than once, but you can do so once you clear the "results" box. Now, perhaps it can be linked to the username, so that a user would receive a "you've already voted" box, but maybe that's too messy to setup.
                Cheers

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Folks are probably unlikely to vote more than once, but you can do so once you clear the "results" box. Now, perhaps it can be linked to the username, so that a user would receive a "you've already voted" box, but maybe that's too messy to setup.
                  Cheers

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I saw this poll some time ago,and honestly don't remember if I voted before or not. Seems to me though,that the anonamous route is not the way to go,1 person-1 vote would be much more accurate.

LaSalle,Il
                    61Hawk
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I saw this poll some time ago,and honestly don't remember if I voted before or not. Seems to me though,that the anonamous route is not the way to go,1 person-1 vote would be much more accurate.

LaSalle,Il
                      61Hawk
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I've not used this particular poll before so if you've seen it before, it was from someone else. Keep in mind that virtually ALL polling features you find on the web (that DO NOT require you to submit an email address with the poll) are managed by a "session cookie" that keeps you from voting more than once (this poll is that way, too). Because of that, these kinds of polls are not and can never be scientific.

I am reviewing some commercial survey software that I hope to convince the SDC to purchase and install on the SDC server that would permit the club to do some real qualitative and quantitative membership research. I think the ability to do surveys using both Turning Wheels/mail and Internet would be of great benefit to the SDC in a number of ways. But, I digress...

I did place a link to this current just-for-the-heckuvit poll in a sticky at the top of the forum page.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                        sigpic
                        Bob Shaw
                        Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

I've not used this particular poll before so if you've seen it before, it was from someone else. Keep in mind that virtually ALL polling features you find on the web (that DO NOT require you to submit an email address with the poll) are managed by a "session cookie" that keeps you from voting more than once (this poll is that way, too). Because of that, these kinds of polls are not and can never be scientific.

I am reviewing some commercial survey software that I hope to convince the SDC to purchase and install on the SDC server that would permit the club to do some real qualitative and quantitative membership research. I think the ability to do surveys using both Turning Wheels/mail and Internet would be of great benefit to the SDC in a number of ways. But, I digress...

I did place a link to this current just-for-the-heckuvit poll in a sticky at the top of the forum page.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                          sigpic
                          Bob Shaw
                          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

It must have been in a topic from a member then. The search isn't working for me right now,type in,click search,it just sits there-oh well! I admit,sometimes this computer thing makes me long for the good old days.[like back when my memory was in my head,not in the machine on my desk..]

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It must have been in a topic from a member then. The search isn't working for me right now,type in,click search,it just sits there-oh well! I admit,sometimes this computer thing makes me long for the good old days.[like back when my memory was in my head,not in the machine on my desk..]

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X