Power Steering Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Conversion

I have a 54 Commander with a 350 Chevy engine (not my choice, was in the car when I bought it) anyway I want to install a studebaker power steering unit in the car, but I have concerns about the room between the steering box and the manifold. (I have down header). I was told that the power steering box at the end of the column is larger the standard box. Is this true? If so how much wider is it? Any other concerns I should have?

I'm thinking you might have much better luck adapting a later Bendix style setup with the add-on hydraulic ram than you would adding the Saginaw integral box. Only problem is that if you do that you will be stuck with the crappy Ross manual steering box, I don't think the Saginaw manual box was ever offered in an early C-K.

The Saginaw poer box is pretty big; I don't have exact dimensions handy however, but it's less than an inch away from the stock Stude exhaust. Hopefully someone who's tried it with a Chevy motor swap can tell you how to make it fit (or to give up now and go to Plan B.)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm thinking you might have much better luck adapting a later Bendix style setup with the add-on hydraulic ram than you would adding the Saginaw integral box. Only problem is that if you do that you will be stuck with the crappy Ross manual steering box, I don't think the Saginaw manual box was ever offered in an early C-K.

The Saginaw poer box is pretty big; I don't have exact dimensions handy however, but it's less than an inch away from the stock Stude exhaust. Hopefully someone who's tried it with a Chevy motor swap can tell you how to make it fit (or to give up now and go to Plan B.)

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The Saginaw manual box WAS offered on early C & K cars. I took one off a '53 Champion for Dick Steinkamp, and he is using it now. IIRC, Champions (at least some of them) got the Saginaw, and Commanders got the Ross. Also, again it's IIRC, the Ross is variable-ratio, and the Saginaw is not. But I could be wrong.

I'd recommend that you either add the Bendix linkage-type assist, and simply overhaul the existing box, which will have a fairly easy life thereafter; or pull out all the stops, and convert to rack and pinion steering using a Cavalier rack with the tie rods coming off the center area of the assembly. Pat Graves in Saskatoon has done several of these, and they seem to work out well.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The Saginaw manual box WAS offered on early C & K cars. I took one off a '53 Champion for Dick Steinkamp, and he is using it now. IIRC, Champions (at least some of them) got the Saginaw, and Commanders got the Ross. Also, again it's IIRC, the Ross is variable-ratio, and the Saginaw is not. But I could be wrong.

I'd recommend that you either add the Bendix linkage-type assist, and simply overhaul the existing box, which will have a fairly easy life thereafter; or pull out all the stops, and convert to rack and pinion steering using a Cavalier rack with the tie rods coming off the center area of the assembly. Pat Graves in Saskatoon has done several of these, and they seem to work out well.

Comment

Can we get more information on the rack and pinion conversion. I am considering converting my 63 Champ to power steering.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Can we get more information on the rack and pinion conversion. I am considering converting my 63 Champ to power steering.

Comment

The cars' steering geometry is VASTLY different from the Trucks that Stude built. If you want rack & pinion in your Champ, you'd better be prepared to engineer it yourself!
                Given the late Champ's steering geometry, you might be able to adapt this setup, made for 50s vintage Ford F-100s

I've also seen this sort of arrangement done by adapting PS components from a late Hawk.[8D]

Miscreant at large.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The cars' steering geometry is VASTLY different from the Trucks that Stude built. If you want rack & pinion in your Champ, you'd better be prepared to engineer it yourself!
                  Given the late Champ's steering geometry, you might be able to adapt this setup, made for 50s vintage Ford F-100s

I've also seen this sort of arrangement done by adapting PS components from a late Hawk.[8D]

Miscreant at large.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Are there any pictures out there of the Cavalier rack installed?

Norm
                    58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                    58 2 door wagon
                    Davenport, Fl
                    Norm
                    58 2 door wagon
                    Davenport, Fl

Comment

Are there any pictures out there of the Cavalier rack installed?

Norm
                      58 2 door wagon
                      Davenport, Fl
                      Norm
                      58 2 door wagon
                      Davenport, Fl

Comment

I'm going to start installation of a Mustang power rack and pinion on a '64 Daytona tomorrow. [B)] By this time tomorrow I hope to have an opinion whether it was a good idea or not.[?]

Comment

I'm going to start installation of a Mustang power rack and pinion on a '64 Daytona tomorrow. [B)] By this time tomorrow I hope to have an opinion whether it was a good idea or not.[?]

Comment

I think that the Saginaw P/S box might actually offer *more* clearance between the pitman shaft and the exhaust than the Ross box, because the Saginaw box uses a pinch bolt while the Ross uses a big nut and a splined shaft. The Ross is smaller in almost every other way though.

I haven't done aside by side comparison; this is just a gut feeling.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I think that the Saginaw P/S box might actually offer *more* clearance between the pitman shaft and the exhaust than the Ross box, because the Saginaw box uses a pinch bolt while the Ross uses a big nut and a splined shaft. The Ross is smaller in almost every other way though.

I haven't done aside by side comparison; this is just a gut feeling.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X